Retroactive pay for govt workers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is an excellent opportunity for the citizens of America to begin looking at how many of the federal jobs need to be farmed out to private industry.

I would agree as long as you are talking about completely shifting the function over to private industry...not just contracting it with federal dollars. I've worked on both sides and can attest to the even larger waste and expense on the contract side.

What needs to happen is that entire functions need to be eliminated and the cost/continuation of those functions should be born by the industries and consumers that benefit from it.

FAA (my employer): Reduce it to a standards and compliance verification organization. The federal government and the tax payers should not be paying a technician to change light bulbs at an airport in east bumf$ck Michigan and at nearly every other airport in the country. Shift the entire organization, beyond the previously mentioned core function, over to the airline industry, the airports, and the flying public.

TSA: Same thing. The federal government should not be providing security for private industry. Reduce the TSA to an standards setting and verification organization. Let the airlines and airports pay for their own security and force them to comply with professionaly developed standards and procedures.

We could go on from there....

HardKnox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree as long as you are talking about completely shifting the function over to private industry...not just contracting it with federal dollars. I've worked on both sides and can attest to the even larger waste and expense on the contract side.

What needs to happen is that entire functions need to be eliminated and the cost/continuation of those functions should be born by the industries and consumers that benefit from it.

FAA (my employer): Reduce it to a standards and compliance verification organization. The federal government and the tax payers should not be paying a technician to change light bulbs at an airport in east bumf$ck Michigan and at nearly every other airport in the country. Shift the entire organization, beyond the previously mentioned core function, over to the airline industry, the airports, and the flying public.

TSA: Same thing. The federal government should not be providing security for private industry. Reduce the TSA to an standards setting and verification organization. Let the airlines and airports pay for their own security and force them to comply with professionaly developed standards and procedures.

We could go on from there....

I could not agree more. I have been involved in several business case analysis and there is a huge waste in going contracting in many instances. Put the focus on the user and provider of the service and let the gov quit playing big brother.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senate reaches "bipartisan" deal(Reid and McConnel). Boehner has urged the House to support it and will bring it to vote. Re-opens gov until Jan 15th and raises debt ceiling until Feb 7th. Congress may vote on it as early as today.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not nearly as many as need to be eliminated completely, with a corresponding return to the states the responsibility and authority to determine the need and manner of the duties in the future. Ummm...Yeah...You're not really adding anything worthwhile to the discussion...

image-3913560686.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could not agree more. I have been involved in several business case analysis and there is a huge waste in going contracting in many instances. Put the focus on the user and provider of the service and let the gov quit playing big brother.

Worse yet are the contracting that TSA does in order to fulfill the requirements of the service they charge the airlines, airports and traveling public to perform for them. It's a double waste. :(

Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here!

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh whew, at least I'm safe from the anarchists...don't privatize me, bro!

Although I must say, I often wonder why my agency contracts out as much as we do. My rule of contracting has always been: if you need them for more than a year, or your contract isn't for a single-scope specific task then bring them onboard FOR REAL.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh whew, at least I'm safe from the anarchists...don't privatize me, bro!

Although I must say, I often wonder why my agency contracts out as much as we do. My rule of contracting has always been: if you need them for more than a year, or your contract isn't for a single-scope specific task then bring them onboard FOR REAL.

Wonder no more. Federal contracts create more campaign donations. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom