Will you guys pay for my college debt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you've not heard of university endowments?

With what some universities have in their endowments, it would be hard to say they are leaving a legacy of debt.
College endowments, a collection of tax-exempt donations and investments used to advance an institution's mission, vary widely. While some hover in the millions, others, such as at Harvard University in Massachusetts, reach well into the billions.
Topping the list at nearly $50.9 billion at the end of fiscal year 2022, Harvard has the largest endowment among National Universities, according to data collected by U.S. News in an annual survey. Yale University in Connecticut has the second-highest endowment, totaling nearly $41.4 billion.
Both of these Ivy League schools have higher endowments than the gross domestic product of some countries, including Nicaragua, Iceland and Senegal, per World Bank data.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...s/10-universities-with-the-biggest-endowments

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you've not heard of university endowments?

With what some universities have in their endowments, it would be hard to say they are leaving a legacy of debt.
Then with all the endowments, it would seem that tuition cost could be reduced so the student attending wouldn't have such a huge debt upon graduation. Better yet, those students that do well in the sciences should be granted a pass on some fees upon graduation. We need these people and not so much those struggling to obtain a degree in diversity or lessor degrees. But we're not running our universities.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then with all the endowments, it would seem that tuition cost could be reduced so the student attending wouldn't have such a huge debt upon graduation. Better yet, those students that do well in the sciences should be granted a pass on some fees upon graduation. We need these people and not so much those struggling to obtain a degree in diversity or lessor degrees. But we're not running our universities.

Doing a little search shows OU's paid out 335 million in the past 5 years. Funds 2600 Scholarships. and is allowing for 45 million in scholarship for 2024 alone.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question is- why did you go to college and attain a degree in anthropology- run up a big student loan - take a job at DHS making about 30k and try to live and pay your bills. When I ask my X these questions, it was the beginning of the end for me. You see a lib is always a lib, and when two opposites hook up- it's tough. In fact, except for wanting sex, we had nothing in common.
But I regress, maybe I made good money with very little college, I wound up having to pay for my bad decisions. So maybe we're even.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J/K mine's paid off..... :D But Biden out here trying to buy votes.

It gets REAL interesting @ 4:00 LOL....

Student debt is their first bad business decision lesson. Colleges should be sued for mis-representing their products.....leading students to think those degrees are good investments. with an attractive ROI.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Student debt is their first bad business decision lesson. Colleges should be sued for mis-representing their products.....leading students to think those degrees are good investments. with an attractive ROI.
I think it depends on the degree. Science & professional degrees generally have a good ROI. In fact some professions require a degree to obtain a license to work. Plus statistically, the average college grad earns more & has a lower unemployment rate than non grads.
Of course there are anecdotal exceptions. Rush Limbaugh & Bill Gates are not grads. A plumber or welder certainly earns more than a teacher with a sociology or gender studies degree, etc.

Last edited:

Hawkstar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
College is a scam for anyone studying the “arts” due to the limited potential for an income after graduation. Here’s an example, a neighbor’s daughter was very smart, in fact national merit. She went to a prestigious private university to study the “arts” including international studies and graduated with honors. She’s now decorating cakes at a grocery store.

My daughter, a national merit finalist, who will be studying chemical engineering has decided to go to TU. Most of the other schools she was admitted to would cost her between 150-200k for the degree and that was with some very generous scholarships.

TU is going to pay her to attend and offer the same to all national merit semi-finalists.
So you compare a person who has finished college to one who has yet to start...... ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom