Riding mowers, Zero turn or Tractor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a joystick zero turn but I have a pretty good slope and the darn thing wated to go where it wanted to go on the hill. I have the opportunity to purchase whatever kind I want but I would like to make sure I won't be sliding around again if I do get a zero turn.

I have been shopping for a small riding mower about a 34 inch cut because I do not have a large acreage. All I have is a normal yard. It takes about 3 hours with a push mower and 1/2 day for me to recover. They don't make small mowers anymore. The small ones I have seen are very cheaply made with plastic wheels and plastic bushings with no capability to grease them. One of them, a Crafstman, you are sitting on top of the engine. I can just see that in the heat of the summer.

I have been looking at the DASH zero turn made by Hustler but it only has a 3 quart gas tank. I'd have to fill it twice every time I mow. All the other mowers I would even consider are 42 inches or bigger.

What do you guys have? Are the zero turns good for slopes or not?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a few compact four-wheel drive tractors on the market. The wild looking Husqvarna is basically zero turn and a steal at $4k-ish... But, you know, it'll cut like a Husqvarna.

You could always Forrest Gump it with a trite and true Snapper 30" rear engine. Power to weight will have you up the hill and they still cut amazingly beautiful thanks to the single humungous blade.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest problem with ZTR mowers is a hillside. Going across the face of the hill, the ZTR tends to slide down.
It's because of the caster wheels up front. They won't hold the front of the machine on line, they tend to roll downhill.

I try to overcome this by putting more power to the downhill-side drive wheel, while pulling back the power on the uphill wheel.
This will result in "crab-walking" across the hill, if the hill is steep enough.

I don't know the solution. It's just a weakness of the design. I have resorted to using a push mower on some of the berms here at my place.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup dumpstick nailed it. You have two choices do like Dumpstick said trying to hold more power to the lower wheel. Or some guys will cut them up and down. I would probably still look at a snapper mower if its a smaller yard with a lot of hillside. They are a proven design that has been around for years and have different price levels depending on what you are willing to spend. I have a commercial 34 in Gravely ZTR and its a serious machine and its no fun doing the parts of my yard that have a slope. Still its not worth trading convenience of ZTR for even a 4 wheel steer lawn tractor. I mow a 1/2 acre... as fast as I can. ;)

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son mows 5 acres. He bought a Hustler and it didn't have enough power for him. Sold it. This year he bought a Bad Boy and really likes it.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 60" kubota diesel. It doesn't slide cuz it weighs about 16 tons. I realize you don't want something that big. I'd say that if you find a dealer with one that meeets your size requirements they'd surely bring it out to you for a demonstration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom