RL550 + .223 + Method???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I quit using one-shot for rifle cases too, no matter what I did I would still get a case stuck every so often, I'll give the Dillon lube a try.

On cycle 1 I lube and resize, followed on the drill press by trim and cut out any swaged pockets, then I tumble to get rid of lube and clean out chips.

Cycle 2 get's decap die, followed by powder charge and bullet seating.

I quit trying to use Varget with a powder measure, that and I quit wasting it with 55gr 223 loads. AA2230 or TAC give me what I need for cheaper, plus they are ball powders and usually very available.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I tumble them, lube, size, deprime, chamfer primer pocket if needed, on a single stage, tumble them a second time to get the lube off, trim on the single stage. Then I load them on the 550, prime, powder, seat bullet, and crimp.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tumble them, lube, size, deprime, chamfer primer pocket if needed, on a single stage, tumble them a second time to get the lube off, trim on the single stage. Then I load them on the 550, prime, powder, seat bullet, and crimp.
What do you trim them with on the single stage? Did you put a Dillon trimmer on it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried an RCBS X-Die with a Dillon? I want to give that a shot when I get a 550 or 650.
I don't like the idea of just pushing the neck back down into the shoulder to alleviate trimming. :disappoin I'm skeptical. The metal has to go somewhere or something has to give (such as the shoulder).

Some people say they work fabulous and others say it causes problems. Try it out and post back your results after about 8 firings. :laugh6: I would really like for it to work but I just don't see how it could without really over working some portion of the case.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of just pushing the neck back down into the shoulder to alleviate trimming. :disappoin I'm skeptical. The metal has to go somewhere or something has to give (such as the shoulder).

Some people say they work fabulous and others say it causes problems. Try it out and post back your results after about 8 firings. :laugh6: I would really like for it to work but I just don't see how it could without really over working some portion of the case.

I think I will give it a shot at some point...a quick search at arfcom and Brian Enos says 8+ loadings aren't a problem and they don't thicken the neck, as long as you set them up exactly like the manual says.

Since it doesn't have an expander ball like normal dies (or unlike any precision set of dies...) you're not pulling the neck longer, so there's much less metal movement than with a standard die.

Getting rid of trimming would be flippin' awesome.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good methodology here, mostly what you want to put into it. I use a Dillon 550, I have loaded about 30,000 rounds of 223 on it. I start with tumbling the brass to get the dirt and grit off of it, then I use an RCBS trimpro to trim all the brass before I start, and a dillon pocket swager to swage the pockets as needed. I use the imperial sizing die wax exclusively, the Hornady lube works OK, but the imperial is easier for me to use and clean. One shot results in too many stuck cases for me. I also use a flash hole uniformer on certain brands of case as they have a smaller flash hole and get stuck on the depriming pin in my sizing die. If I want primo looking finished loads, I may tumble them to remove the lube, if I am only doing small batches (a couple hundred at a time) I will spin the loaded rounds on a lee case trimmer arbor in a drill while wiping the case with a cloth. That removes all the lube and polishes the brass to a great extent. Blitz

Latest posts

Top Bottom