RN pay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone willing to go to school for three years and then put up with blood, sh$t, piss, filth, infection and be able to greet the attitudes of patients, patient's families and doctors with a smile and a cheerful bedside manner, and do it all for less than the prevailing wage is welcome to go ahead and "take one for the team" in the name of reduced healthcare costs. LOL.

Especially the arrogance of the doctors......

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anywhere from $40k-50k base starting salary, which unlike most jobs, is unfortunately where you'll likely be in 10 or even 20 years as well. There's a few positions out there like DON, Charge nurse, case manager that make $50-60k after a few years exp. but there are even fewer amount of higher ups than that. My father has been an RN for over 35 years, has every cert. you can think of and has yet to clear $100k a year. His current title is Wound Care Director and it's close to the mid 80k range, but that's almost unheard of and it has been only recently that he was offered it "the last person was an MD." It's the OT and shift dif. that makes it a lucrative career in my opinion, you can earn $10-20k extra by doing visits for home health agencies, working a few extra night shifts, things like that. Just watch out for tax bracket hikes. I remember one year my dad hit it HARD to try to pay off his house and after several hundred hours of OT at the end of the year, only walked away with a few grand thanks to the tax bracket increase he climbed into.
It's very good money, but you earn it. If it were easy, everyone would do it and it would pay nothing.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
well as an RN I will say I cleared over 6 digits last year and I graduated in May of 2012. OT was there but even with it I still only work 4 days a week and am off for 3, I usually only work 3 days a week and am off 4. Oh and Texas pays better than Oklahoma.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Especially the arrogance of the doctors......

LOL. That's why my bride likes to work nights. They only time she really has to deal with the doctors is if something happens that requires the shift nurses to call 'em.

As we can see from this thread, pay varies, widely. My wife was lucky to start well above some of the numbers posted here but some of her classmates ended up a lot lower.

One thing I'm seeing is the whole "only working 3 days a week" thing isn't all it's cracked up to be when you work nights. If you can't work those three days in a row, you end up losing a lot of daylight time sleeping before/after work.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems like a lot of varied salaries based on private vs. hospital (the pros and cons have been noted), OT, state you live in, shift diff. pay, etc...thanks for the input so far.

Any nurse anesthesiologists wanna chime in? what made you not go for the full up doctor?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
seems like a lot of varied salaries based on private vs. hospital (the pros and cons have been noted), OT, state you live in, shift diff. pay, etc...thanks for the input so far.

Any nurse anesthesiologists wanna chime in? what made you not go for the full up doctor?

Wife starts school for this in June.
Lots of money, three years intense study, big payoff. Once she starts practicing, no drama /politics at work, better hours, kinda "the guy in the corner" type deal.
Compare that to med school, rotations, and the way way drs. are treated these days (worked to death, buried in debt when they graduate, dictated care by insurance company) - really it's a no-brainer.
Unless you're young (20s) and have the means to secure a specialty, being a dr ain't all it's cracked up to be. (anymore)

As for me, I'm gonna do lawn care for a nurse anesthesiologist.....

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife starts school for this in June.
Lots of money, three years intense study, big payoff. Once she starts practicing, no drama /politics at work, better hours, kinda "the guy in the corner" type deal.
Compare that to med school, rotations, and the way way drs. are treated these days (worked to death, buried in debt when they graduate, dictated care by insurance company) - really it's a no-brainer.
Unless you're young (20s) and have the means to secure a specialty, being a dr ain't all it's cracked up to be. (anymore)

As for me, I'm gonna do lawn care for a nurse anesthesiologist.....

Is she going to Newman university or sticking around here? I know it's hard to get in no matter where you go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom