Ruger announces new firearm to honor the Wisconsin union strike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It makes me giggle to think how many people think that they would be terminated if not for the union. I have never held a union job and my job comes with some serious responsiblity and accountability....and guess what...I've made some pretty stupid mistakes that cost the company a fair amount of money, but I've never feared for my job and I've never been afraid of being fired for making a mistake.

You're very fortunate. I've seen incidents where someone was terminated who followed all policies and procedures and, because something went wrong, got fired because the client demanded someone's head.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unions use to be useful. They are not anymore. They were good in their time. Their time is over.

Not all union workers suck. But ALL unions eventually suck the life out of the company.

Just sayin

HA!! got my .02 in before the lock

so <bleep>you!!! <bleep> you i say!!!

Simmer down ladies.....

carbon

Marksman
Reaction score
Unions make it very difficult to terminate a crappy employee, if you can't admit that...take another hit off of the crack pipe.

No union contract requires an employer to keep a worker who is lazy, incompetent or constantly absent or late. What the union does is make sure dismissals are for ‘just cause.’

It’s true that older employees who have a union can’t be fired when they’re considered not useful by their employer anymore. Women, workers of colour, aboriginal workers, workers with disabilities, and gay and lesbian workers who have a union can’t be unfairly treated because of their gender, race, disability or sexual orientation. In that way, unions do protect people’s jobs.

I don't know. Maybe the union rep uses hypnosis on the boss. Does the union rep threaten a strike and possibly lose their job. Nope. It never happens. A union lawyer won't even bother with crappy employees. So explain it to me. What does the union do to protect bad workers. If you can't admit it's some more nonsense you heard on the TV...go back to sucking Rush Limbaughs &*^(@.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No union contract requires an employer to keep a worker who is lazy, incompetent or constantly absent or late. What the union does is make sure dismissals are for ‘just cause.’

It’s true that older employees who have a union can’t be fired when they’re considered not useful by their employer anymore. Women, workers of colour, aboriginal workers, workers with disabilities, and gay and lesbian workers who have a union can’t be unfairly treated because of their gender, race, disability or sexual orientation. In that way, unions do protect people’s jobs.
I don't know. Maybe the union rep uses hypnosis on the boss. Does the union rep threaten a strike and possibly lose their job. Nope. It never happens. A union lawyer won't even bother with crappy employees. So explain it to me. What does the union do to protect bad workers. If you can't admit it's some more nonsense you heard on the TV...go back to sucking Rush Limbaughs &*^(@.

You answered you own question, stud. I've worked in an around manufacturing, transportation, distribution and never once have I seen someone terminated due to any of the things you talk about. Like I said, back to the crack pipe for you.

carbon

Marksman
Reaction score
You answered you own question, stud. I've worked in an around manufacturing, transportation, distribution and never once have I seen someone terminated due to any of the things you talk about. Like I said, back to the crack pipe for you.

The highlighted is federal law not union contract genius. Mind the children while your at it.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do think there may be a place in the future for unions. There needs to be a third party at the table along with corporations and the government to directly represent worker in labor relations.
Corporations bear a lot of expense for health care benefits that are said to hurt their ability to compete with foreign corporations. Health care benefits as part of employment are a relatively new standard historically. Perhaps health care benefits and pensions are more properly the domain of the unions rather than the employers. Decouple those things from employment an we might be better for it.
Of course steps would have to be taken to make sure health care and pension funds weren't looted by organized crime as they have been in the past.
There aren't any perfect solutions of course.
The current fashion of demonizing unions ignores the conditions that prevailed before there were unions. If you prefer unbridled capitalism and no unions I suggest you move to the People's Republic of China and work in a factory there for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom