Ruger SR 1911 Frustration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my question is "why is it really great?"
I'm not able to spit out all the comparsions of other 1911's because the ruger is the only one I have owned but almost every gun I have owned I found things about it I did not like. So far every time I get the ruger out, I like it even more.

I'd say use gunbroker or just wait it out until you can find one locally. Gunbroker is probably your best bet but your liable to overpay a little bit.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lucked out and grabbed one that was listed in the OSA classifieds, basically bought a used gun for MSRP and would do it again in a heart beat. I'm kinda impatient once I decide I want something, if I hadn't found the one I have I would have waited or bought one on-line. It really is a nice gun and so far I haven't found anything I would change, some are replacing the blued parts with stainless but I kinda like the contrast.

Ya it's worth the wait...

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was posted on Ruger's facebook page.

"We will be increasing production on the SR1911's, but it's not something that can happen overnight. It will require investment in new machines and major work in the plant to accommodate the expansion of the line. It will take 6 to 9 months before the expansion will be completed, but eventually we will have the capacity to increase production. We planned for strong demand of the SR1911, but the popularity of this pistol blew away our expectations. We're doing our best to catch up to demand - thank you for your patience"

I also read another post quoting a letter from the Ruger CEO to an individual saying they have invested in more machines and personnel and should be cranking out more SR1911's in the first quarter of 2012. So to answer your question, no you wont be able to buy one in the Sooner State for a fair price if at all unless its used in 2011.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's how all the gun makers play the new gun marketing game. They'll introduce most at the SHOT Show in February or the NASGW in November. A few pre-production guns will be furnished to the gun writers. The magazine articles get written, then published a couple months after introduction. The public may (or may not) clamor to their dealer to purchase the product. The distribution stream gauges interest. The factories often wait until there is sufficient demand to produce a production run of the new product. Usually they don't fill the demand; they really do not want to fully fulfill it.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SR1911 is a great gun, probably the best 1911 for the money IMO. I have no complaints about mine. That being said my Springfield RO is nicer. If you can't find a SR look at the RO...it certainly wouldn't be a step down.

As far as finding a gun shop that can get you the Ruger...you need to call them directly. They'll know better than us how long the wait will be.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont get whats so special about them.

My point exactly - a lot of folks are quick to point out how awesome something is with no qualifiers (or reason for that matter). I did some digging and the Ruger seems to be a pretty decent 1911 with no more MiM and fewer problems than some of its higher-priced competitors, but its still new and with Ruger adding machines and increasing output in a hurry, you might see more QC problems in the future.

I think the big thing is that its a 1911 from a major manufacturer with no firing-pin safety and actually has pretty decent fit/finish and reliability (something only Springfield has been able to accomplish and to be honest, I've seen some rough Springers with out-of-spec frames - especially some of the more expensive ones that I wouldn't expect to have those issues).

Basically, for a non-firing pin safety model, you have what... Colt, Springfield, and now Ruger? (STI is also in there I think, but I don't know that they're considered a "major brand").

Taurus' 1911 has been plagued with reported problems, Remington's 1911 is over-priced and seems like its suffering from a lot of QC issues like out-of-the-box grip safeties not working and other timing issues - its also got the series 80 firing pin safety.

Kimber has fallen prey to the Schwartz FP safety in most of their guns (I want to say the Warrior series does not have it), and S&W and Sig both have external extractors (something the purist 1911 in me can't understand). The Thompson / Auto-Ordinance also sports the Series 80 FP safety. I don't know what the RIA's have, but they're starting to creep up in price to the point that I'd get something else for the money. The CZ Dan Wesson is out there as well, and its supposed to be a better gun that it was just a few years ago (but I've heard of so many problems with Dan Wessons that I'm still skittish to buy one).

I'd honestly buy one - if they stay problem-free with the increased production output, they're probably going to increase in value over the next 4-5 years and I'm glad that someone is actually getting into this game in (what sounds like) the right way other than Springfield.

Latest posts

Top Bottom