San Francisco Bay Area Bans Gas Furnaces and Water Heaters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it camp San Louis Osbispo?

Nope. It was called Two Rock Ranch Station and was a base for the U.S. Army Security Agency. Top secret stuff...

...now it is a training base for the Coast Guard, and strangely enough, it is several miles from the nearest ocean. It is called USCG Tracen. (I presume "Tracen" refers to Training Center.)

Oddly enough, when I was first stationed there in 1966/67, some of us and to undergo a leadership training "class" in which we did maneuvers and stuff, and within our class was two Coast Guardsmen. Maybe those two guys were "scouting" out the place?

Two Rock Ranch Station Location.jpg

At the far right in the center, there is a notation for Coast Guard Exchange, which is where the base is located. This image gives a sense of how far the base is from the ocean.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly enough, back in 1969, I bought my first handgun in California. I was stationed at a small Army base about 40 miles north of San Francisco. Back then, even with an Oklahoma driver's license, I had no problem getting the pistol, and I only had to wait 3 days to go pick it up.
Completed bootcamp, 4 of us driving from San Diego to Port Hueneme for "A" school, stopped in a k-mart. Each bought a marlin .22 rifle, walked out with them. I had a Delaware drivers license. Sept 1972.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we moved back to CA in 1978, from the east coast, we had a dryer that we had converted to nat gas from electric, since nat gas was less expensive. IIRC the conversion cost $50 or so.

Nat gas for many years was pushed as the clean and efficient alternative to electric.

Now the pedulam swings and nat gas is bad.

LOL what a joke.
A lot like those plastic bags at the grocery store.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having visited SF numerous times (my ex-brother in law lives there), I can tell you it’s not going to be a huge deal. Many of the smaller homes and newer stuff have transitioned to on demand water heaters already. As far as the heaters, the weather there is so mild he only runs his heater maybe a month or so of the year and the coldest it gets is mid-high 40’s. With decent insulation, most houses can easily get away with one or two split units that don’t really even run that much. Hell, he doesn’t even have air-conditioning. He has a swamp cooler that he doesn’t even really use. Just opens the windows and lets the breeze come through. The problem is going to come when the rest of the state wants to follow the model and the folks inland who have more of a desert climate crash the entire grid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom