Scam by Text

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inspired by kinggabby, I've decided to post this up.

I have gotten texts from a Tulsa Best Buy and Target respectively (at least my phone's caller ID says it is) saying that I've won a $1000 gift card. The text contained a link to their respective websites. This one is a good one, as the links look legit as do the webpages (they contained the correct colors and logos).

Just be aware as I wasn't for the first one (the Best Buy one). The webpage asks for address and email...I gave it like an excited little fool I was. I've already received multiple spam emails and I'm sure there will be some in the mail too. It just "looked" good enough.

Should have known it was too good to be true, but I fell for it as I was at work and distracted (and thought "why not?").

Now let the brow-beating begin...:cry11:

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've had both of them as well. its super easy to spoof caller ID/txt source.

the target one URL ends in .tltz.biz - thats a no brainer right there as its not www.target.com

dont even goto the links, the sites themselves have browser based virus installs written into the code.

i did a little writeup that addresses this topic a few months ago. skip down to "software"
http://davidproberts.com/2012/04/09/davidsays-smartpcuse/

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have received about three of these in the past week. I get them on my phone and my wife gets them at the same time on hers.

Us too. Our phone numbers are one digit off each other. He'll get one then about a second later my phone will get one.

Don't forget nothin is free, especially from a random text or email. I got one for target yesterday, erased it immediately

Yep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom