SDA, adjudicated a delinquent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndZack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk about a bad first post. :smash:

When I was a minor I was running around with a bad group of guys, and got into trouble, when I was 16. Needless to say I was not cut out to be a criminal and cleaned up my life, got a new group of friends and have not been into any more trouble. Now I'm wanting to get my SDA License, and I'm getting two answers, and really don't know where to go next to find out 100% when I can get it.

The Judge adjudicated me delinquent and on page 8 of the SDA book it say's

"In the course of the investigation by the Bureau, it shall check the name of any applicant who is
twenty-eight (28) years of age or younger along with any known aliases, the address of the
applicant and the social security number of the applicant against the records in the Juvenile Online
Tracking System (JOLTS) of the Office of Juvenile Affairs. The Office of Juvenile Affairs shall
provide the Bureau direct access to check the applicant against the records available on JOLTS.

(1) If the Bureau finds a record on the JOLTS that indicates the person was adjudicated a
delinquent for an offense that would constitute a felony offense if committed by an adult
within the last ten (10) years the Bureau shall deny the license,

I was put on probation, for two years, and when I tuned 18 I was done with everything. Now onto my question, I have talked to two different people at OSBI about when I can get my hand gun license, one told me the 10 years start counting when I was done with probation, and one told me it started the day the Judge adjudicated me a delinquent. I don't know who to ask next, or where to go. I just really want to find out 100% when can I get my license.

Zack

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know nothing about nothing, but I have a few thoughts none the less.

What city, town, county where you in trouble? I do not know how pervasive the JOLTS system is, but when it comes to the regular courts, that many towns in OK are not "courts of record" and that there may not be any documentation outside of the court itself, and they may not even keep those very long.

The SDA application states, "...did you receive a felony adjudication as a delinquent...". That sounds very specific, do you know if it was a "felony" adjudication? I would check with the court where you in trouble and see what they have to say. If they do not confirm a "felony adjudication", then I personally would feel it appropriate to answer the above question "No". You can also ask the court if they report to the JOLTS system, and if so, what does it show in regards to this adjudication.

Nothing likely being treated as a felon, for something that never saw a proper trial. I am sure the standards for being "felony adjudicated as a delinquent" are much lower than the requirements for being found guilty of a felony. Though that is pretty low now days, everyone is just a plea bargain away from being a felon.

2ndZack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suggest asking OSBI SDA Unit; they do answer questions for prospective applicants

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Contact_Us/index.html

That is who is giving me two different answers.

I don't know nothing about nothing, but I have a few thoughts none the less.

What city, town, county where you in trouble? I do not know how pervasive the JOLTS system is, but when it comes to the regular courts, that many towns in OK are not "courts of record" and that there may not be any documentation outside of the court itself, and they may not even keep those very long.

The SDA application states, "...did you receive a felony adjudication as a delinquent...". That sounds very specific, do you know if it was a "felony" adjudication? I would check with the court where you in trouble and see what they have to say. If they do not confirm a "felony adjudication", then I personally would feel it appropriate to answer the above question "No". You can also ask the court if they report to the JOLTS system, and if so, what does it show in regards to this adjudication.

Nothing likely being treated as a felon, for something that never saw a proper trial. I am sure the standards for being "felony adjudicated as a delinquent" are much lower than the requirements for being found guilty of a felony. Though that is pretty low now days, everyone is just a plea bargain away from being a felon.

It was OKC, I went down to Office of Juvenile Affairs and was able to pull my own record and my case is on it. As far as if I was adjudicated as a delinquent I was. I was young and dumb at that time in my life lol..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question was, was it for an offense that would have been a felony had you been an adult? I think the law is pretty clear the way it is written... 10 years from the time you were "sentenced". So if you were 16, then it should be at 26 you would be eligible for a permit.

Of course we all know in practice it doesn't always work that way... but if you're serious about it, write a letter and get an official written response from them on paper. Anything some clerk tells you on the phone is simply their opinion and isn't enforceable and essentially means nothing. Maybe it can be used to guide your choices, but when you're getting differing opinions, it's less than useless.

The law says there are consequences to your acts as a teenager... unfortunately, you will have to live with those consequences and wait the timeframe allocated by law.

Just be glad it wasn't a plea-bargain including some kind of violent act, or you could lose all rights to own firearms for life. Or that you would have to register as a sex offender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom