Selling a property - owner financing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma was quite the business woman and did this often. She had a great attorney that would prepare the paperwork for her. She was always buying and flipping properties. She bought into a motel and ended up selling it to a investment group, owner financed. They put down a down payment and paid monthly over 10 years. At the end of the 10 years, their balloon payment at the end was nearly what the original purchase price was. My grandma always said, “Why let the banks make all the money on the interest?”
Yes this is the reason it’s interesting at all. It can also be beneficial for taxes. I never liked it because it seems like a bad deal for the buyer in a way. Say you put down 20k, pay down the loan half way and then something happens and you can’t pay. You can’t sell and recoup your investment.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he can’t get a loan because a bank doesn’t trust him then why should you trust him?
Bingo. If he has a big chunk of money to put down he should just go get a loan.

That being said there’s a local guy around here that’s made a fortune selling starter properties to people and then reselling them again when they default. I’m sure he’s got a legal contract out his kazoo. So yeah I’d make sure to get a good lawyer involved.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he can’t get a loan because a bank doesn’t trust him then why should you trust him?
Lots of banks won't finance bare property no matter what your credit score is. Found that out when we bought this place. We were lucky and had a friend with the bucks to finance it for us

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Bingo. If he has a big chunk of money to put down he should just go get a loan.

That being said there’s a local guy around here that’s made a fortune selling starter properties to people and then reselling them again when they default. I’m sure he’s got a legal contract out his kazoo. So yeah I’d make sure to get a good lawyer involved.

heard to many bad stories of things like this going wrong. Hey, OP. Get paid in full so you don’t have the headache any longer. If something were to happen to you then the people that inherit your stuff don’t have to deal with a headache like what you described above.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? I have some land for sale and someone that is looking for owner finance. He wants to put down a chunk of money then pay off the rest over 5 years. He wants to buy and move a mobile home on to the land. It sounds all ok to me but I’m not aware of what could go wrong. I would get an attorney to structure the deal.
Did it from the other side. Put every penny I could beg or borrow into it, and then Uncle Sam sent me elsewhere six months into what was supposed to be a 2 year controlled tour. Chopped off my quarters allowance, and cost me the property, and everything I'd invested in it. The landowner/seller got it back with my improvements; power pole, well & well house, driveway, etc. It was a good deal for him. I had to have the mobile home dragged off his property, and moved into town, and eventually sold for what I owed on it, too. Took me years to pay off my Grandma, and the USAF, who decided they'd overpaid me on the moving allowance to the place. That was to be my retirement home, but it was not to be, blast it! It was 7 acres in NW Florida for $7K, back in 1986. Probably couldn't touch it for 10 times that now.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did it from the other side. Put every penny I could beg or borrow into it, and then Uncle Sam sent me elsewhere six months into what was supposed to be a 2 year controlled tour. Chopped off my quarters allowance, and cost me the property, and everything I'd invested in it. The landowner/seller got it back with my improvements; power pole, well & well house, driveway, etc. It was a good deal for him. I had to have the mobile home dragged off his property, and moved into town, and eventually sold for what I owed on it, too. Took me years to pay off my Grandma, and the USAF, who decided they'd overpaid me on the moving allowance to the place. That was to be my retirement home, but it was not to be, blast it! It was 7 acres in NW Florida for $7K, back in 1986. Probably couldn't touch it for 10 times that now.
Yes, at the end of the day I don’t want the potential hassles and I don’t like people setting themselves up for that. Imagine having to see someone when you’re the person that took all of their investment even when it’s contractual. Most don’t understand or they do and just think it couldn’t happen to them. I’m also soft and not greedy. I would feel obligated to return some of the investment in a situation like that so I shouldn’t get into it. I told the guy I wasn’t interested in owner finance for several reasons. He never responded.

Range Plunker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the party is asking you to accepting a large down payment and finance the remaining debt on a monthly payments--that is, until the full sale price is paid, your risk is his defaulting on a payment, which you can then cancel the agreement, and keep what he has paid as well as the land. But I would definitely consultant a Real Estate Attorney, and make sure that the proposed Agreement is written in your favor, and that the other party understands what he or she is entering into.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents sold/financed their house to a woman that made pymts for years. I don't remember all the details. Pretty sure an attorney and contract was required from her. It took years and forever for the lady to pay it off. Seems risky to me.

Bixby Sooner53

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This! Just be sure that they buyer cannot touch any natural resources (timber, minerals, etc.) unless and until the CFD is completed and he as full title to the property. Using a contract for deed makes it much easier to evict and repossess should the need arise. Also any improvements they may make during the term would also revert to you should they not complete the terms of the contract. A real estate attorney could create a CFD or a good real estate Broker if you know one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom