septic tank maintenance- to pump or not to pump regular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have been on septic tanks all my life. the only time i ever needed to pump was if the leach field wasn't working right. had the old orange bird pipe collapse once years ago and had to repair replace some of the leach field with the new penetrate r type. i crushed the leach field once by driving a tractor over it also. put some copper sulfate crystals in yer turlet and flush once or twice a year to keep roots out. and there is some bacteria you can buy and flush also if you use alot of clorox that kills the life.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
built and lived in my home for 40 years now. Have had 2 issues with the septic system in all those years. Like someone mentioned earlier.....my first was tree roots making their way into a joint in the pipe entering the septic tank. Had a company diagnosis, pump, and fix the problem. He poured rock salt around the new joint saying this will keep the roots from doing that again. 2nd issue was my lateral lines 'matted up' not allowing the liquid to leach as it should. Had to put new lateral lines in. New 'lines' were done as
"chambered" lateral lines

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will start this out by saying I am not a knowledgeable person on septic tanks. That said, I am old enough that I should be. But what I know is from real experience from what my Dad told me 40-50 years ago which may be wrong, but not proven to be wrong in our case. What I read on internet and people tell me, Dad and I am wrong.

Dad said,(paraphrased as I only remember the go forward plan, "if you dont put anything but crap, pee, toilet paper and some minor food stuff, and your drain field was done right, you won't need to pump it"

I am ok with someone telling my deceased father of many many years ago was wrong--
But here is the deal.
Never while I lived at home with parents did we pump septic. (septics 1964-1981) (2 locations)
I lived in a home for 12 years with septic tank after moving from parents, moved in and it was plugged in first month obviously from previous owner,- pumped and never pumped again.
I have now lived in my current location for 22 years, never pumped.
Currently I have myself and wife, but raised two children in the about 24 years of my septic history .

My question-- should I pump? am I waiting for an emergency pump to happen? not really trying to save $400 or whatever, just want to know if it is REALLY necessary to pump it if you control what goes in septic?
I have a aerobic system and have only had it pumped once in 20 yrs, 4 yrs ago. We dont put any food other that whats washed of a scraped plate or pot and pans. The biggest problem I have had are the aerobic pumps. Septic companies try to rob you by charging $700 for a new pump you can install in 5 mins or less for a new air pump you can find online for $200. You can find rebuild kits for $30 bucks. I have lost track of how many air pumps i have gone thru in 20 yrs but a good one last 3 yrs a rebuilt from Sewer people 1 to 2 yrs. The absolute best Septic service company I have used is IRWIN SEPTIC 405 769 9302. They rewired a mess a septic company had Jerry rigged several years ago and really fixed all the stuff a company had even gone so far as to disconect my alarms ect. And Irwin was the first Company that didn start with with have to replace the air pump for $700. Irwin had their pump truck and told me I definitely had a few yrs before needing pump and didnt take advantage of the situation. Fixed everything for and rewired, programmed for under $150!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a aerobic system and have only had it pumped once in 20 yrs, 4 yrs ago. We dont put any food other that whats washed of a scraped plate or pot and pans. The biggest problem I have had are the aerobic pumps. Septic companies try to rob you by charging $700 for a new pump you can install in 5 mins or less for a new air pump you can find online for $200. You can find rebuild kits for $30 bucks. I have lost track of how many air pumps i have gone thru in 20 yrs but a good one last 3 yrs a rebuilt from Sewer people 1 to 2 yrs. The absolute best Septic service company I have used is IRWIN SEPTIC 405 769 9302. They rewired a mess a septic company had Jerry rigged several years ago and really fixed all the stuff a company had even gone so far as to disconect my alarms ect. And Irwin was the first Company that didn start with with have to replace the air pump for $700. Irwin had their pump truck and told me I definitely had a few yrs before needing pump and didnt take advantage of the situation. Fixed everything for and rewired, programmed for under $150!

I know Irwin’s personally. Good people. For over 50 years.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think overwhelmingly the answer to pump or not to pump is take care of what goes into your septic, if you have good lateral lines /drainage, one can likely get by for multiple years as Dad told me. My take away is perhaps I should consider a pump after 22 years- it can't hurt anything and maybe cheap insurance for next 20.
we'll see. Not going to jump right on it now for sure based on my experience and what I am hearing from this group.
Thank you all for your input and for all the responses, knowledge and insight so far and maybe yet to come.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think overwhelmingly the answer to pump or not to pump is take care of what goes into your septic, if you have good lateral lines /drainage, one can likely get by for multiple years as Dad told me. My take away is perhaps I should consider a pump after 22 years- it can't hurt anything and maybe cheap insurance for next 20.
we'll see. Not going to jump right on it now for sure based on my experience and what I am hearing from this group.
Thank you all for your input and for all the responses, knowledge and insight so far and maybe yet to come.
Yep. No garbage disposal under our sink. It resides in the chicken run/coop

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone has any questions regarding septic systems or wastewater issues and wants a straight answer I can help. I have 33+ years of wastewater experience with over 400 projects. I have been a licensed certified wastewater operator since 1994 by the ODEQ and since 1996 with the Nebraska DEQ. My cell is 405-850-1630. Leave me a message if you call and I will return it promptly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom