septic tank maintenance- to pump or not to pump regular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will start this out by saying I am not a knowledgeable person on septic tanks. That said, I am old enough that I should be. But what I know is from real experience from what my Dad told me 40-50 years ago which may be wrong, but not proven to be wrong in our case. What I read on internet and people tell me, Dad and I am wrong.

Dad said,(paraphrased as I only remember the go forward plan, "if you dont put anything but crap, pee, toilet paper and some minor food stuff, and your drain field was done right, you won't need to pump it"

I am ok with someone telling my deceased father of many many years ago was wrong--
But here is the deal.
Never while I lived at home with parents did we pump septic. (septics 1964-1981) (2 locations)
I lived in a home for 12 years with septic tank after moving from parents, moved in and it was plugged in first month obviously from previous owner,- pumped and never pumped again.
I have now lived in my current location for 22 years, never pumped.
Currently I have myself and wife, but raised two children in the about 24 years of my septic history .

My question-- should I pump? am I waiting for an emergency pump to happen? not really trying to save $400 or whatever, just want to know if it is REALLY necessary to pump it if you control what goes in septic?

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t and have been on septic since the early 80’s, clasped lines are an issue usually or plugged. Dug some to splice, bailed some to clear clogs. Never once has this ever solved an issue for me but it’s the first thing they’ll tell you to do. I do put some doctor drain in every 3 months or so.

I do like putting clean outs before and after your tank, much easier to troubleshoot. I’ve gone 20 years without service.

jmo

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m on an aerobic system and the septic guy told me his office will try and get me into a “contract”and to tell them no thank you. Being new to this I’m learning on the fly but that said. Just had our pumped after two years and the service guy reluctantly said it wasn’t close to full. Wish I knew what to look for and just what “full” looks like.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never had an aerobic system, always had lateral lines. Others need to chime in on those. Mine’s never been full but you call a plumber they’ll want the tank drained more than likely.

clogged inlet or outlet at the baffles would be a visual. Clean outs will tell you which side on a standard tank.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a answer to your question and have lived with septic systems most of my life.

I once read in a book (Five Acres and Independence I believe) that a properly built septic system will last the lifetime of the owner.

I firmly believe that all the regulations involving septic systems that has came about have nothing to do with safety, but everything to do with keeping a government foot on the back of the owner!
The reality I believe, is they want everyone on the city sewer plan, paying big monthly payments forever making you more of a slave!

Up here acreage owners are alowed to pump their own and top dress their land in the growing season, but I dont know anyone who does.

The local city sewer cartel sells the dried refuse labled "Natures Blend" complete with condoms, tampons, etc! Some farms get it for their fields! :thumbup3:

I have stopped using antibacterial soap and bleach for the benifit of my system years ago!

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s going to depend on how many people are using the septic system, and if you use a garbage disposal regularly. The more of each, the sooner you may have to pump out your tank. The size of the tank will also dictate how long you can go in between service calls. All that having been said, my six neighbors are all on septic systems; one has lived there with his family of 4 for 10+ years and then with just his wife for 20+ years, and he’s never pumped out the tank. The neighbor across the street had no kids but a partner, and he had to have his tank pumped out twice in the 25+ years he’s lived there. Don’t know about the others, but I’ve not heard of any more honey wagons making a visit in all the time I’ve lived here.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first place I've bought a home with a septic system where it wasn't a requirement to have the septic pumped before purchase. It was a VA requirement in Colorado and Idaho. Apparently not here...I know some VA "requirements" vary based on local rules.

We weren't having any issues but we had it pumped several months ago...probably the first time it's been pumped in many, many years. We also found a low spot in the main sewer line that would've eventually started causing issues so that was fixed. In Colorado it was something almost everyone did every 3 to 5 years or so.

It's certainly not going to hurt anything to have it pumped and inspected. And if there's nothing wrong you know you're good to go for many more years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've lived in the current home for 18y, 3 of us from 05'-07' then four of us until last year now back to three of us. House was built new in 2002 after tornado leveled the previous home. Not sure if a new septic was installed then or not, but doubtful. Previous home was built in 1975. So four of us and a water softener, and add a box of bacteria 2x a year and we've never pumped.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first place I've bought a home with a septic system where it wasn't a requirement to have the septic pumped before purchase. It was a VA requirement in Colorado and Idaho. Apparently not here...I know some VA "requirements" vary based on local rules.

We weren't having any issues but we had it pumped several months ago...probably the first time it's been pumped in many, many years. We also found a low spot in the main sewer line that would've eventually started causing issues so that was fixed. In Colorado it was something almost everyone did every 3 to 5 years or so.

It's certainly not going to hurt anything to have it pumped and inspected. And if there's nothing wrong you know you're good to go for many more years.
Your last sentence was a question I forget to ask, Can it "hurt" anything by pumping when all is well?"

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pumped mine when I moved in 16 yrs ago due to backing up. Well, wasn't tank, tree roots had grew into sewer line before septic tank. The previous owner installed himself and I have no idea behind his theory. The roots grew into a joint he forgot to glue. From there I corrected the cluster of issues I found to the tank, installed a clean out and have yet had a issue. When we unearthed the tank to clean out it had about 6 inches in a 3000 gallon tank. My God I could build a neighborhood around me and not fill it up.

Edit; Cause I hit wrong button and didn't catch it. I have a 3k gallon septic tank.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom