septic tank maintenance- to pump or not to pump regular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve lived in our house for right at 29 years and have lateral lines and have never pumped it out.

I live in a sandier soil so permeation is quicker. We’ve not cleaned ours out as of yet.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we bought our house we had the septic tank inspected and the guy used a fishing pole to check the level of the solids, the liquid level was at the top of the pipe going into the tank, the solid level was at the second eyelit of the fishing pole, so we had about a foot of solids in there at the bottom of the tank, he said no need to pump it out. I believe if all you put in there was black water waste you could go many years without pumping, but food and laundry soap added to the mix and I don’t believe it works as effectively as it should.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great grandpa built the septic here in the 60s, but we didn't know exactly what it was. My dad always thought it was a concrete/cinder block setup. There were no clean out locations so safe to say it never got pumped. Then in 2017 or 2018, a small hole showed up in the yard and we were looking into the septic, which actually turned out to be a 100ish gallon heating oil tank. So my great grandparents used it for 45ish years until they passed, and the metal finally rusted through 20ish years later...and again, never got pumped nor did it back up.

Dad had a new system put in, I think it's now like 1500 gallons and just me living here now so I doubt I'll ever have any issues.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About like some of the others since i didnt read all the comments but parents lived 50 years
with the same septic system and never pumped but we had a about ground discharge but i know mom would flush a block of yeast down the toilet once a month and she always told me that was to help break the waste down and not let it clog up dont know if that worked or have the discharge above ground but never had a problem with the handmade septic tank

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About like some of the others since i didnt read all the comments but parents lived 50 years
with the same septic system and never pumped but we had a about ground discharge but i know mom would flush a block of yeast down the toilet once a month and she always told me that was to help break the waste down and not let it clog up dont know if that worked or have the discharge above ground but never had a problem with the handmade septic tank
Sounds like the one I grew up with!! 55 gallon barrels buried with lateral lines attached.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents have had the same one since 98 and it’s never been pumped, but not abused, never a problem.

My house was built in 73 and as far as I know same septic system. I was having problems and had mine pumped and it helped temporarily. After 5 years I finally found out why I was having to snake my drain every 6 months. About 8’ of my line was 90% clogged with paraffin wax. Filled 3 Walmart bags up of the stuff!
I have yet to have any other problems 18 months later.

There’s a guy on YouTube that uses a clear pipe with a check valve to take a verticals sample and can see the different layers to decide if you need to be pumped. Might be a good idea if you’re feeling froggy.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived in several houses with septic, my current house for 12 years so far - all without any problems (no pumping).

With that said, we started a backyard project (retaining wall), and I wanted to find the septic tank to ensure we didn't build over the top of it.
I called the pump truck, and after finding the tank and digging it up - I don't think this house has ever been pumped since construction (80's). The prior owners flushed all types of trash down the toilet. I'm glad the trash didn't get to plugging the lateral lines.

My recommendation:
If you don't know the prior history of the house septic system - get it pumped.
***You may be averting a maintenance nightmare.***
After it's pumped- I'd say your good for another 20 years, usage pending.

Edit: The pump truck wasn't terribly expensive (couple of hundred). The cost over time, or the possible averted maintenance - was money well spent.
I don't see the need for regular pumpings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom