Selling your guns to a store, how far will I have to bend over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, like the title says, I have some stuff I need to move that just doesn't have demand around here. I don't want to put them up for consignment and sit on them for months, only to pay the store 10-20% if they sell. I figure I would just go and sell them somewhere. Bass Pro, Cabelas, maybe village tactical. How bad am I going to get screwed? Are we talking pawn shop 40% of street value screwed?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big companies need to make money to keep doors open.
I have never had to sell anything ever to a pawn shop or other company.

Just post here and see.
Another issue is some people outfit a weapon to their liking with expensive name brand stuff and that makes selling and getting your money back a bit of an issue.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big companies need to make money to keep doors open.
I have never had to sell anything ever to a pawn shop or other company.

Just post here and see.
Another issue is some people outfit a weapon to their liking with expensive name brand stuff and that makes selling and getting your money back a bit of an issue.
I already have, and well under what I have in them/under market if I have done my research right. There's just no demand.

mikec

Marksman
Reaction score
So, like the title says, I have some stuff I need to move that just doesn't have demand around here. I don't want to put them up for consignment and sit on them for months, only to pay the store 10-20% if they sell. I figure I would just go and sell them somewhere. Bass Pro, Cabelas, maybe village tactical. How bad am I going to get screwed? Are we talking pawn shop 40% of street value screwed?
tried to sell some guns last week, gun stores offered 50% of retail, pawn shop made a offer, went back to take them up on the offer and they would not honor the offer they made, wanted to buy the guns much less than they offered. still have the guns. going to try the gun show next week at the okc fairgrounds. good luck.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you’re about right with your estimate. 30%-50% is just about right. Like the reasons mentioned above. A business has overhead they have to cover and the profit they make on your gun(s) pays for rent, utilities, insurance, employee salaries and if there’s anything left they pay themselves (mom & pop shop). Not sure exactly what you’re selling but I find myself in the same situation, where my tastes in guns (classics) doesn’t fit with what’s on the racks. Good luck!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's da ting...post your gear up for sale here, ask a decent price (don't expect to get your moolah back) and see what happens. Let it run for a week or so. Bump it about every 24 hours, and ya never know.

It don't cost nuthin, and if some azzhole lowballs you, just tell him/her to step off! I'll bet whatever you have might be of interest to someone here. One man's trash is another man's treasure, ya know!

Good luck to ya! :thumb:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's da ting...post your gear up for sale here, ask a decent price (don't expect to get your moolah back) and see what happens. Let it run for a week or so. Bump it about every 24 hours, and ya never know.

It don't cost nuthin, and if some azzhole lowballs you, just tell him/her to step off! I'll bet whatever you have might be of interest to someone here. One man's trash is another man's treasure, ya know!

Good luck to ya! :thumb:

Bumps are 72 hours sir!

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some ideas: Paint your guns black, duct tape on a bayonet, a flashlight, and some brass knuckles, always use the word "tactical" as much as possible, start wearing black underwear to get in the zone, and wear an earing.
Other suggestions would be Gunbroker, it only takes two guys, if you go that route start your auction at the lowest price and no reserve. If you have some decent things then Guns International is good, You may not get as much as you wanted, but you will get what you deemed acceptable, and they will sell, pack um up, ship um out.
If you decide to dump them, and that is not a bad idea, simply because it's one and done and you get a lump sum big enough to do something with, whereas selling one at a time is just walking around money.
If you go that route, I would highly recommend Randy at Mustang Gun and Pawn, as good a guy as you'll find anywhere and fair.
Good luck, I'm in the same boat and will soon be making the same decision.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been said, but I agree, a shop is going to offer 50%, at best, a third more likely.

reList them here. Make the situation. Price for quick sale. Your earlier post does not reflect TODAY. I have seen multiple listings I wanted, but the timing wasn't right.

Only time I would sell to a pawn shop would be junk I wouldn't sell here.
I have never sold anything to a pawn shop. I did sell a broken (parts unobtanium) foreign made revolver to a gunsmith student. He repaired and made a nice profit, to help pay for school. (cost $35 / sold $200)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom