Service members' flags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeToTheBone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't belong to a military forum, so you guys are all I've got as a resource on this.

There's a good chance I will be receiving the flag from my grandfather's coffin when the time comes. Nothing too imminent, but @ 89 and with a good deal of probs, well...

Anyway, what I'd like to do is put it in a traditional triangle display case with some type of engraved plaque listing his military info. and put it in my office to go with his in-uniform portrait from WWII. I also have the corresponding portraits for both my father-in-law and my father (all three were officers :patriot:) and this is where my question comes in. My FIL died almost 20 years ago and my dad died when I was 7 and, long story short, no one knows where their flags are. So, the question is, would it be acceptable and appropriate to purchase the correct size flags and do the same for them?

I REALLY want to do this, especially for my family's sake, but am not sure if it's considered alright. I've already got a nice start on the room with this http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x233/orangetothebone/DSC00045.jpg but would like to make it better. Let me know your opinions.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure there is some kind of official answer but if it is something you really want to do just do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks. I see that as honoring someone you cared about. There is nothing wrong with that.

Hobby Lobby sells those cases by the way.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll look through some of my regs at work tomorrow and see if I can find an official answer. Personal answer would be yes. I see there no problem in getting the correct size and putting it in a case. The America flag is the American flag, it's obviously nicer and more sentimental to have the one they were buried with, but still represents the same thing.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, I greatly appreciate the patriotism and honoring our country's hero within your family. Will speak volumes for the generations of your family to come to see that!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say go ahead and do it but maybe also put a note inside the back stating what you've done, etc...

That way generations from now, they will know that it's not the original one just for posterity sake (and so they don't get embarrased on Antiques Roadshow 2111)

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what you're doing is great. I do have a suggestion that might make this a little more special for you and your family. Have your FIL and Dad's flag flown over something special. My retirement flag was flown over the USS Arizona Memorial...and came with a certificate that memorializes the event. If you have an idea of a Command/place they served, or somewhere that has special significance to you/them, then call that command and ask if they'd be willing to fly a flag in their honor. I'd ask to talk to the Command Master Chief or Sergeant Major (depending on the branch of service). Depending on the place, they might ask you to provide the flag (or not). Then they'll fly the flag and give you a nice certificate to hang with the flag. It'll be something you and your family can treasure.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, I greatly appreciate the patriotism and honoring our country's hero within your family. Will speak volumes for the generations of your family to come to see that!

Well said!......My grandfather received a Distinguished Flying Cross and a Bronze Star in WWII. I believe he served in the 8th Air Force as a gunner on the belly of a B-29. Unfortunately he died of cancer when my mom was 14. I never got to meet him. Also my moms uncle was killed by a mortar in the Korean War. He also has a Purple Heart among other medals. When I get all the medals, I'm going to make a shadow box in Honor of their service. I will put the shadow box next to mine on the wall.

:soldiers::soldiers::soldiers:

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't belong to a military forum, so you guys are all I've got as a resource on this.

There's a good chance I will be receiving the flag from my grandfather's coffin when the time comes. Nothing too imminent, but @ 89 and with a good deal of probs, well...

Anyway, what I'd like to do is put it in a traditional triangle display case with some type of engraved plaque listing his military info. and put it in my office to go with his in-uniform portrait from WWII. I also have the corresponding portraits for both my father-in-law and my father (all three were officers :patriot:) and this is where my question comes in. My FIL died almost 20 years ago and my dad died when I was 7 and, long story short, no one knows where their flags are. So, the question is, would it be acceptable and appropriate to purchase the correct size flags and do the same for them?

I REALLY want to do this, especially for my family's sake, but am not sure if it's considered alright. I've already got a nice start on the room with this http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x233/orangetothebone/DSC00045.jpg but would like to make it better. Let me know your opinions.

Do it right, get some flags flown over a national monument, something appropriate.
I have one that was flown over the Arizona, and one from Arlington
Contact Tom Coburns office with the request and they can make it happen.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom