Shingles question - is color the same across brands?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have two different brands but both sell a color called weatherwood, is the color the exact same between the two? I realize if comparing same color in older vs newer shingles there could be some variation from the elements, but if you were replacing a partial roof and could get a better deal on one brand vs another, AND the shingles would not be spliced together, would the same color match well enough regardless of brand or must you get the EXACT same brand model shingles (if you can find them).

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have two different brands but both sell a color called weatherwood, is the color the exact same between the two? I realize if comparing same color in older vs newer shingles there could be some variation from the elements, but if you were replacing a partial roof and could get a better deal on one brand vs another, AND the shingles would not be spliced together, would the same color match well enough regardless of brand or must you get the EXACT same brand model shingles (if you can find them).

It will be close but there is a difference

Gaf and Tamko I presume? I prefer GAF.

Stay away from malarkey.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, no the colors aren't the same. We even had trouble with bad color matches using the exact same brand.

Actually had to remove a newly installed roof once because the color from batch to batch was not even close. The shingle manufacturer, Tamko IIRC, paid for the roof replacement.

I never worked with Malarkey shingles but a friend that owns a roofing company says they are junk.

Back then I used GAF exclusively unless the customer insisted on using another brand but I have no idea if they are as good as they once were.

Last edited:

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
The color of shingle will vary widely between manufactures. Colors even vary between runs from the same maker. It's not their fault, it's simply the variations in the colors of each run of gravel.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never worked with Malarkey shingles but a friend that owns a roofing company says they are junk.

How ironic.....

1683061405231.png

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why stay away from Malarkey? I’m having my roof replaced soon, and one of the roofers I’m talking with uses Malarkey shingles.

I have heard from a few roofers who tried them but did not stay with them, they went back either GAF or Tamko.

Latest posts

Top Bottom