Shingles question - is color the same across brands?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would venture to guess the color varies a bit and can vary across different job lot numbers. It is just according to the mix the preparer comes up with on that particular day.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So taking all this info into account, is there any reason to stick with the same brand (landmark) if replacing a partial roof. As mentioned, I will not be merging any old/new shingles together so only entire sides will be replaced and won't be visible together with other sides of the house side by side to see/compare the hopefully minor difference.

Situation is complex but basically years ago the insurance screwed me and only paid for a partial and I never did it...now I am going to finally take care of it and contract it myself but I need to do it for a reasonable cost while sticking with class IV IR shingles (I have access to several roofing crews directly).

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So taking all this info into account, is there any reason to stick with the same brand (landmark) if replacing a partial roof. As mentioned, I will not be merging any old/new shingles together so only entire sides will be replaced and won't be visible together with other sides of the house side by side to see/compare the hopefully minor difference.

Situation is complex but basically years ago the insurance screwed me and only paid for a partial and I never did it...now I am going to finally take care of it and contract it myself but I need to do it for a reasonable cost while sticking with class IV IR shingles (I have access to several roofing crews directly).

This is just me, but I think you’re overthinking it.

The shingle color on your house has changed over the years because of granule loss. As has been stated, even if you used the same brand in the same color, from the same batch that you had left over from the first repair there would be a color variance. That doesn’t even take into account the other variable of different colors between different lots/batches that were run a day a week or a month apart, much less several years.

If you’re really set on getting as close as possible, go to your supplier, grab a handful of some of both from a busted bundle, toss them down on the roof and see what ya think.

I wouldn’t though. I’d probably go with the same brand I had, just because, in the same color, do the repair and move on to worrying about something you can control instead of something you can’t.

You’ll be fine. Nobody looks at shingles anyway. It ain’t like you’re got 3 different colors of shutters on your front elevation windows. Even if you can see 2 sides from a corner, it just ain’t gonna matter that much.

It’ll be fine.

Trust us. :hey3:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my roof replaced in December last year.

GAF HDZ Charcoal. Looks good, complete tear off, ice and water shield, synthetic felt, 2 sections of decking replaced due to not going back with turbines but went with ridge vent.

Those guys did a good job, started around 8am rolled off cleaned up by 4pm.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I had my roof replaced in December last year.

GAF HDZ Charcoal. Looks good, complete tear off, ice and water shield, synthetic felt, 2 sections of decking replaced due to not going back with turbines but went with ridge vent.

Those guys did a good job, started around 8am rolled off cleaned up by 4pm.
Those charcoal shingles are mighty dark for our summer sun but they sure look good.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a person uses three of the GAF products with their class IV shingles they provide a better warranty. We had GAF installed this past summer. The weather wood color they sell at Home Depot. They look great!

If you go to the Home Depot website and bring up the GAF weather wood class IV shingles you can read the warranty info.

Also, State Farm gave us a steep discount on our home owner's insurance for going with the GAF impact resistant shingles.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those charcoal shingles are mighty dark for our summer sun but they sure look good.

I thought the same thing about the summer. The previous roof was shake wood.

I actually like the charcoal better.

We will see how this first Oklahoma summer goes lol.

I also hope the ridge vent out performs the two turbines on the previous roof.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Malarkey has a plant here don't they? I've heard decent things about them in the past. Curious why they are off the lost.
They are 2 miles from my house on Council but I know nothing about them. I'd go with Elk if they are still in business. Been so long since I roofed houses and I dont miss that hard labor.
But no, color will vary from batch to batch slightly

Latest posts

Top Bottom