Shingles question - is color the same across brands?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridge vents are part of the system, and its easy to mess up.

Regardless of what you go with on a vent, you need a way to let air in and let it out.
Check your soffit vents (if you have them) make sure they are not plugged with insulation.
If you have gable vents, you don't want the ridge vent close to them. It sets up a circulation zone and what comes out goes right back in.

You don't want unventolated spaces in the attic.
If you have a cut up roof line pay attention to how the attic is set up. Do you have paths for air to get into and out of every roof, or do you have roofs that have no ventilation?

Proper roof ventilation keeps the shingles cooler, and they last longer.
Worth a few bucks to do it well.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had Malarky shingles on my roof over ten years and it has held up very well with hail as well as wind. So far so good. But it is scheduled for replacement. I’ll tell the roofer not to use malarkey.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gents, shingles are like everything else. There are different grades of quality within every manufacturer's line.

Use a good shingle. Brand isn't as important as the quality grade. If you can get a 100 mph wind shingle instead of a 60 mph shingle, the brand isn't important.

I really think you guys are overthinking this, by miles.

Let your roofer use the brand shingle he wants to use, but in a higher quality and I don't think you'll ever know the diff.

edited to add - but it's ya'lls roofs. You can shingle it with Ritz Crackers for all it matters to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom