Shooting backstop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have scoured the net trying to find the law the deputy referred to about being 220 feet from a dwelling and cannot find it. The only thing I have found is that you can’t shoot within 440 feet from a school or place of worship. Nothin about dwellings. He told me you have to be over a 1,000 feet from a school or place of worship which is wrong. So it makes me wonder if he was just lying to try and get me to stop. It further makes me think that when he talked about arresting me. The other two deputies said I wasn’t breaking ANY laws and that I was in the country and there was nothing they could do. This deputy from yesterday has only been a deputy for a year he said. I’m wondering if he isn’t friends with the neighbor that called the cops. Either way if any of y’all know the law he referenced could you post it? Hopefully it doesn’t exist. Also, he told me that he could charge me with reckless discharge of a gun. How is shooting safely into a backstop reckless discharge? I would think of the law does exist it would simply be discharging a firearm within 220 feet of a dwelling. That leads me to believe even more he was just trying to scare me into stopping.

Last edited:

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have scoured the net trying to find the law the deputy referred to about being 220 feet from a dwelling and cannot find it. The only thing I have found is that you can’t shoot within 440 feet from a school or place of worship. Nothin about dwellings. He told me you have to be over a 1,000 feet from a school or place of worship which is wrong. So it makes me wonder if he was just lying to try and get me to stop. It further makes me think that when he talked about arresting me. The other two deputies said I wasn’t breaking ANY laws and that I was in the country and there was nothing they could do. This deputy from yesterday has only been a deputy for a year he said. I’m wondering if he isn’t friends with the neighbor that called the cops. Either way if any of y’all know the law he referenced could you post it? Hopefully it doesn’t exist.
I believe it's in hunting and taking a gun afield regulations

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law the deputy refers to could be an ordinance instead of a law. Thus, one would need to check county and city ordinances (should your property be within city limits) to see where the law is applicable. If it were me, I'd drive to see the Sheriff himself and ask about it. If he says it is a law/ordinance, then ask him to show it to you. Working at the OSBI, I dealt with statutes all the time, so I know that there are a lot of strange laws out there.

Not that you would be interested, but here's a source (OSCN.net) where one can do "legal research" and see Oklahoma's state statutes. There are some doozies in there.

OSCN State Statutes

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The law the deputy refers to could be an ordinance instead of a law. Thus, one would need to check county and city ordinances (should your property be within city limits) to see where the law is applicable. If it were me, I'd drive to see the Sheriff himself and ask about it. If he says it is a law/ordinance, then ask him to show it to you. Working at the OSBI, I dealt with statutes all the time, so I know that there are a lot of strange laws out there.

Not that you would be interested, but here's a source (OSCN.net) where one can do "legal research" and see Oklahoma's state statutes. There are some doozies in there.

OSCN State Statutes
I live in the country outside of city limits. The deputy said it is a state law.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there's a fed law about not possessing a gun within 1000 ft of a school.
There may be. I am past that. This deputy only referred to state law. He even said there isn’t any county laws preventing it. two other deputies that have been deputies for far longer than this last one said I wasn’t breaking any laws and there wasn’t anything they could do about me shooting. He said I understand that it’s the country and that’s one of the reasons you moved here. Then when they left I was told I could get back to shooting. Seems to me if there was a law those two deputies would have mentioned it rather than telling me specifically that I wasn’t breaking any laws.

Latest posts

Top Bottom