Shooting backstop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4917BBBB-F235-42F7-95ED-AE80B7E38CA0.jpeg
02A63909-415C-4B60-9905-D91F91E7AF0A.jpeg
My wife and I just finished building our new shooting backstop. It is about 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall. I used two sheets of plywood on the sides plus a smaller sheet after that to hold the dirt in I chose to use plywood and 4x4’s because it was cheaper. I will use water seal to protect it and apply it every few months. Before I had just a dirt mound to shoot into. It looked like crap and wasn’t very tall. I know it isn’t the best thing ever made but I am happy with the way it turned out. It was actually a lot more work than I thought it would be. The dirt is in need of some lead so I will “water” it soon enough.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you ask. I have had the sheriff called once and it was last summer. I don’t shoot very much either. When they came they checked my setup and said I wasn’t breaking any laws and told me I could get back to shooting. Well I just got done shooting my glock 19x and low and behold here comes the sheriff to the house on the next street over across the creek. They are not anywhere in the path of where I shoot as you can see. They are basically directly to the side of me about 250 yards. About 15 minutes goes by and he finally gets here. He told me he spoke with two neighbors one being the HOA president and they both said they are sick of it. They both tried to say I do it all the time with more frequency here lately which is a flat out lie. I haven’t shot in about 2 months. But others that live across the woods have. He told me the woman was scared to send her kids out. The deputy did say I was being safe and had a good backstop. Then he says I bet you thought because you are in the country you aren’t breaking any laws but you are. I said then why did the two other deputies specifically tell me I wasn’t breaking any laws. He then says well we try to not enforce it. He said there isn’t any county laws being broken but the state law says you can’t be within 220 feet of another dwelling off of my property. Then he proceeds to tell me the HOA president is going to call a meeting to address the situation. I said he can’t do anything to me. Then he tells me the sheriff will be at the meeting and decide if he needs to enforce the state law and then I could be arrested. So I have decided that after two years I am looking for another place to move. Sometimes I hate People.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd have to move pretty far out to get away from people. If I was 15 years younger and had some money I would definitely be trying to move out.
I've set up a pellet gun target backstop and trap in my backyard. My neighbors are about 100 yards away, hopefully I won't get any complaints.

Latest posts

Top Bottom