Shooting backstop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing you might consider is some kind of baffles in front of your shooting station, upper and sides, that would stop any errant rounds from going over or to the side of the backstop.

Then get your feelings hurt, take your ball and go home. But don't tell me my rights should be restricted due to irrational and unfounded fear. We can do without firearms enthusiasts who claim they are 2A activists who believe in further restricting our right to keep and bear and exercise those rights we already have. We're having a civilized conversation, if you don't have anything to back up your irrational fears, then you're simply trying to legislate by fear - not evidence.

Have a nice day.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then get your feelings hurt, take your ball and go home. But don't tell me my rights should be restricted due to irrational and unfounded fear. We can do without firearms enthusiasts who claim they are 2A activists who believe in further restricting our right to keep and bear and exercise those rights we already have. We're having a civilized conversation, if you don't have anything to back up your irrational fears, then you're simply trying to legislate by fear - not evidence.

Have a nice day.
Chill man, I was just suggesting another level of safety if he wants to go there. I got the idea from the Banner Road range, they have upper baffles.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was just a few years ago some cop in OK was shooting in a tree at a snake, he missed, and the round killed a kid who was fishing in a pond that was not even visible to the cop.
Plenty here on this forum ranted about how stupid the cop was, which I thought was jackassery. Who here has never shot at a tree critter? The odds of that happening are real slim, but that cop's life is ruined.
Everyone looks at situations, evaluates the risk, and then decides how far they're willing to go to reduce the risk.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was just a few years ago some cop in OK was shooting in a tree at a snake, he missed, and the round killed a kid who was fishing in a pond that was not even visible to the cop.
Plenty here on this forum ranted about how stupid the cop was, which I thought was jackassery. Who here has never shot at a tree critter? The odds of that happening are real slim, but that cop's life is ruined.
Everyone looks at situations, evaluates the risk, and then decides how far they're willing to go to reduce the risk.

You idea about baffles in the previous is a good one, but I'll not waver from my firm opinion that what these officers did was demonstrably reckless.

https://www.foxnews.com/story/oklahoma-police-kill-5-year-old-boy-while-shooting-at-snake

https://www.normantranscript.com/ne...cle_48654d51-d845-5904-8081-8098220cef3f.html

https://newsok.com/article/3871552/parents-of-slain-noble-boy-upset-over-expungement

A snake in a tree should invoke far less worry someone shooting at such a narrow target into the sky with an unknown back stop in a residential neighborhood.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll soften my opinion a bit, I was thinking it was more rural, not residential.
Rogers, who had been on the Noble police force about one month, reportedly twice fired a .357 semi-automatic handgun in a residential area, attempting to shoot a snake in a birdhouse.
If they had clear knowledge of the area, then yeah, it was dumb.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geeeze …. It appears that some do not wish to listen and use common sense.... I have said my piece.....I will keep silent as it does no good to talk to some.
Shooting with a 40 foot berm backstop might be ideal from a safety standpoint, and I’m sure we all wish we had the resources to have something like that available to us in our backyards. But it’s unrealistic to suggest that no one ever shoot for fun or training outside a range designed according to the NRA’s standards. That could hardly qualify as common sense. Ranges open to the public have to take into account the risk level of a great number of people with a great range of skill level and attention to safety shooting a great number of rounds. Those considerations warrant extra safety precautions that involve relatively high cost. Nothing is perfectly safe, but @TonyKane1 has implemented perfectly reasonable precautions for shooting on his property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom