Shotgun Ammunition. School me on how many and what kind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a link where they concluded that in a 12-gauge shotgun, No. 1 buckshot was the best all-around for home defense:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Unfortunately, No. 1 buckshot is hard to find, so the next recommendation was plain old No. 00 buckshot.

Good article. I used to love to shoot slugs at an old washing machine. Have plenty of buckshot on hand also.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.shotgunworld.com_shot_sizes.jpg

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
heres a few different types of shotgun rounds in action. i like the last one. that would be my choice when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4FjODPDFA&feature=

I doubt highly that the dragon breath round would be legal in the US. I also wonder about the legality of the "ball and chain" round though it sounds like it would be insanely destructive.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help but I picked up some bulk packs at Wal Mart this weekend. They had Winchester and Remington buck and slug in the 2 3/4" and buck in 3". I have yet to get the shotgun, but got 90 rds of stuff to try.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really see a reason to stock 1K of shotshells for a pump unless you're a heavy use hunter or competition shooter. 2-300 shotshells in #6, 7 1/2 and 8 shot, along with a couple hundred rounds of 00 buck & slugs should do you just fine. Try some of the lower recoil "tactical" 00 and slugs before stocking up. They may pattern better in your gun, particularly the Federal offering with the Flite Control wad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom