Shotgun hunting in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In terms of big game, viz. deer and boar, do any of you use a shotgun? How many of you use a rifled barrel and slug? How many smoothbore and slug?

In Oklahoma, when you use a shotgun for big game, is there a limit to the number of shells your gun can hold?

Finally, which areas of Oklahoma would a shotgun be appropriate? (Lots of trees, etc.)

thanx

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the public hunting areas are shotgun only. I know Mountain Park WMA is shotty only.

I consider using a shotgun on deer only when the law requires it. Take a look at the hog/shotgun information. Not sure about slugs, but it's nothing larger than BB shot. Need to clear this with State before hog hunting with a shotty.

Don't misunderstand, I love shotguns and have several, but I do not think they are a first choice for larger animals. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can use slugs on a hog at this time, but its up before the wildlife dept rule change to allow OO buck. About time.
I saw a test in outdoor life or one of those magazines many years ago that was testing the "brush busting" capabilities of rounds from the .22 to the .450 weatherby. They used 1/4" dowell rods, in front of a target(don't remember how far) and shot at a bullseye. Not one round made it anywhere near the bull, except for the 12 ga slug, and the .450. They made it on target. We have a ton of new 12 ga ammo now that has really put the shotgun shooting a slug into a new realm, but I don't know if the new/lighter/faster slugs will bust the brush like the old forester type rounds. Somebody needs to do a test.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifled barrel and scope combo on my moss 500 with lightfield slugs. I can reach out to 150 yards with devestating results. If you cant put It down with a 12 ga slug you shouldnt be shooting at it. For the past 4 years i have shot nothing but slugs during gun deer season due to the public land i hunt and ft sill regulations. Lately i have thought about going to a savage slug gun with the accutriger or have some work done on my 500 to get a lighter pull.
As far as the restriction for ammo, i have always just put one in the chamber and two in the tube. If it takes more than three rounds more time should be spent at the range.
Sabot slugs are damn expensive, but the inly way to go with slugs. I have tried a few diff brands and i always come back to lightfield hybred exp 3" 385grn lead slug. If you find yourself in okc someday you are more than welcome to squeeze off a few through my gun so you can see if you like them.
Btw walmart had a barrel and scope combo for 150 which is a great deal.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As far as the restriction for ammo, i have always just put one in the chamber and two in the tube. If it takes more than three rounds more time should be spent at the range.

This is my hd gun that I'm thinking of using on pigs:

[Broken External Image]

I'm just wondering if I would have to plug the mag.

BTW, thanx for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom