Should I call the cops?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched a guy abandon 2 adult dogs in my neighborhood. No way I'm wrong about what was happening, because they ran all the way down the street trying to get back to him as he drove away. AND...he was leading them in the direction of major traffic and the highway.

Should I bother calling the police? Will they do anything if I got pictures of his tag? USPCA? Should I do anything at all, or am I just being emo about it? ****ing POS.

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_080805021.jpg
    IMG_20230730_080805021.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230730_080756254.jpg
    IMG_20230730_080756254.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230730_080812099.jpg
    IMG_20230730_080812099.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 0

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell yes, call the police. That's animal abandonment

Statute 21-1691.
Any person who deposits any live dog, cat, or other domestic animal along any private or public roadway, or in any other private or public place with the intention of abandoning the domestic animal upon conviction, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

It's only a misdemeanor, but at least you'll get in this guy's back pocket if nothing else.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched a guy abandon 2 adult dogs in my neighborhood. No way I'm wrong about what was happening, because they ran all the way down the street trying to get back to him as he drove away. AND...he was leading them in the direction of major traffic and the highway.

Should I bother calling the police? Will they do anything if I got pictures of his tag? USPCA? Should I do anything at all, or am I just being emo about it? ****ing POS.
Did you see the dogs actually put out of the car?

If you didn't then there really isn't a case.

Reminds me of a situation that happened several years ago on I-44, lady posted pics of a guys truck and said he threw a puppy out of the truck at highway speeds and others ran over it. Social media became infuriated and tracked the guy down, he had death threats. News station got involved interviewed the guy, he said the car in front of him swerved to miss the pup and he didn't have time to miss it and hit it, he said he saw it bounce up behind him and he was devastated. IIRC the guy actually worked at a rescue as well. They found the driver of the car in front of him, they corroborated the story.

So make sure you actually saw the abandonment, just not the dogs chasing a car.

Last edited:

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you see the dogs actually put out of the car?

If you didn't then there really isn't a case.

Reminds me of a situation that happened several years ago on I-44, lady posted pics of a guys truck and said he threw a puppy out of the truck at highway speeds and others ran over it. Social media became infuriated and tracked the guy down, he had death threats. News station got involved interviewed the guy, he said the car in front of him swerved to miss the pup and he didn't have time to miss it and hit it, he said he saw it bounce up behind him and he was devastated. IIRC the guy actually worked at a rescue as well. They found the driver of the car in front of him, they corroborated the story.

So make sure you actually saw the abandonment, just not the dogs chasing a car.
This is the rub. I can't honestly say I saw him put them out, let alone get it on camera. When I turned the corner, he was getting back in the car, and they were circling it trying to understand what was happening. I heard him call one of them by name and tell him to "go now". This is one of those times where I wish I had intervened myself, but I know that wouldn't end well. I could have easily cut him off, but a confrontation might have ended up with me getting bit by his own dogs, or even worse. Sometimes the choices in front of us just suck. People suck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom