Should I even try to get into reloading right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of sinking money into more guns that I can't afford to shoot, I've decided that I should finally take the plunge into reloading to help ensure I have ammo for what I've got already. I've talked to several experienced people about it (including a couple of members here) over the past year or so, and have read up enough to have a basic grasp of things. I've even all but set myself on the type of press I want, a Dillon 550.

I now have a little extra scratch to make the initial investment, and feel like I know enough about what I'm doing to start, but now there is the problem of supply. Materials seem hard to find, and there is a long waiting list before I can even think about getting a press from Dillon. I've never been in the market for reloading stuff before, so I'm wondering if it would even be a good idea to try getting started right now. Will I save any money in the end?

Basically I'm just asking you experienced reloaders what your experience has been in recent times of high demand and high prices....Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for yet, and its not as bad as it seems....

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading will be something that you will do the rest of your life. It will be a factor in every gun purchase you make after you get started. I know that supplys are limited for all of the reloading equipment you will need.

I have a Dillon 550 that I bought in the eighties. If you buy one you will be glad you bought the Dillon. If you ever wanted to sell your equipment you would get the best resale for the Dillon as opposed to other brands. If you use it you will be even happier.

Order what you want and get it set up as you go. Be patient and wait on the items that have long lead times. Be even more patient and get the components that you want. Reloading will be a long term endeavor so some wait time at the start will pass.

It will be worth the wait.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recent shortages suck. I have some stock and don't even bother to look for some things that I want right now. I will get reports from OSA when the stuff show up.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend you wait. Components are available from one of our fine local establishments, offered for in some cases what is 5 times what it was 6-7 months ago. Factory ammunition online is cheaper when you are paying those prices. It takes a lot of reloads to pay off all of your equipment. I think you would find more enjoyment from the process when components are readily available again so you can get what you want.

On a side note, when I was looking for a progressive press I studied the Dillon 550 as well. I ended up going with the Hornandy LNL AP though. Speed was of greatest importance to me and with the AP you get a 5 station press that automatically indexes. Both companies will give you great customer service, I just think the AP is a better value. I started out using a turret press, and while adequate, it leaves a lot desired.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would just rathole the money and keep an eye out for the Dillion. If you are not in a hurry you should be able to find a good deal on one. The components are coming back. By the fall if the gov don't screw it up things should be back to normal, what ever that is.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now is a hard time to get into reloading if you are in a hurry. Don't be in a hurry. Make a list of stuff you want to eventually end up with. Then start watching for sales for that "stuff". It will take a little longer but you'll get what you need at regular prices as long as you are patient.

If you purchase components in bulk and stay away from the "fancy" items you can load ammo cheaper than you can get local or online. How much you shoot after you start reloading will determine how much you save.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes...just start gathering stuff as you see it for good prices. I have a simple single stage press and i love it...it's kinda like therapy to sit in there doing everything to get stuff ready, then actually building ammo. I'm looking into getting a better mechanized press, but i'll always keep my single stage presses too.

Go for it...gather as ya can, and when stuff comes back into "normal" status just stock up on "parts" as you can and before you know it you'll be making ammo and having a good time. Get manuals for data....study up on them and compile recipes of STANDARD loads for what you shoot...and look at the componants and powders they require...then you'll know what you're looking for.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What cartridges are you reloading for?

I'd go ahead and get started, so that you're at least familiar with how it works.

I'm able to buy powder, primers, and powder just fine for 38/357, 9mm, .44 mag, 45 acp.

You may only be able to load 1,000 at a time, but at least you'll know how to handload when components are easier to find.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Dillon 650 with every accessory they make for it and it has taken over a month to sell enough bullets to pay for it.
I suggest you save your money and wait till the prices on reloading equipment and supplies comes back down, they are not falling fast but supplies are becoming more available every day.
Once the shelves are full again then I expect prices to come back down.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. I think the key will be to not get overly excited and overpay for stuff.

Competing is what I love, and I want to be able to get more involved, and shoot more matches. For now I'd start off by loading 9mm, but eventually would add a rifle round (probably .223). Down the road when I want to get into major power factor I'd add .40 and/or .45.

I'll start by getting my hands on some manuals, and keep and eye out for good deals stuff as they pop up.

Now, I've read good things about both the Dillon 550 and Hornady Lock n Load AP. Dillon sounds like the most reliable, and I've never read anything bad about them. However, the 5 stages and auto index of the Hornady are appealing as well, plus they run that deal for free bullets when you buy one. Also, the Hornady seems to be more easily available and cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom