Should The Secret Service fight for their right to paaarty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What those guys did was disgrace the the US government in front of foreign eyes on their soil - the folks involved deserve to be disciplined.
I am a retired - after 24 years of active duty - military officer. When we, no when I, acted up I was ready to pay the penalty and did so once or twice though never quite like this. But I have been on military liaison teams and worked in an embassy and if I or my fellows had hung our schwantz's out like this (perhaps literally in this case) then I would have manned up and accepted what came of such incredible reckless stupidity and self-centeredness.

Stop making excuses for these guys they are shaming the ones who really are the quiet professionals.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What those guys did was disgrace the the US government in front of foreign eyes on their soil - the folks involved deserve to be disciplined.
I am a retired - after 24 years of active duty - military officer. When we, no when I, acted up I was ready to pay the penalty and did so once or twice though never quite like this. But I have been on military liaison teams and worked in an embassy and if I or my fellows had hung our schwantz's out like this (perhaps literally in this case) then I would have manned up and accepted what came of such incredible reckless stupidity and self-centeredness.

Stop making excuses for these guys they are shaming the ones who really are the quiet professionals.
^
^
^
This...

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren't in trouble because they had sex. They are in trouble and it is an issue because they violated rules, regulations and in some cases actual laws...and they violated solemn oaths (in the case of the married agents).

If you don't see that as a problem for someone in a uniformed or other public service position, especially one with the responsibilities of the USSS then....well, nevermind. Free hookers and booze for everyone!

^
^
^
This

Five years military and thirty two years federal, I knew what was expected of me.........

bahammer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Teddy Kennedy go to brothel in Columbia (maybe Brazil) and the Secret Service had to go get him. I think he was drunked up and acting the fool ,according to the story, but he IS American royalty so no big media bash.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Teddy Kennedy go to brothel in Columbia (maybe Brazil) and the Secret Service had to go get him. I think he was drunked up and acting the fool ,according to the story, but he IS American royalty so no big media bash.

You are right to point out that there is hypocrisy to spare in the press but remember - the public at least gets to vote on elected officials during the next election and can sometimes recall as well. Appointed or hired officials who start ignoring the rules become very problematic very fast because they do sometimes have real responsibility and/or power but often very little accountibility.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't in trouble because they had sex. They are in trouble and it is an issue because they violated rules, regulations and in some cases actual laws...and they violated solemn oaths (in the case of the married agents).

If you don't see that as a problem for someone in a uniformed or other public service position, especially one with the responsibilities of the USSS then....well, nevermind. Free hookers and booze for everyone!

I'm sorry, but Clinton did really set the bar here. Did he cheat on his wife? Yes. Did he potentially risk the OPSEC of this country? Yes. Did he violate an oath? Yes. Did he embarrass the country? Yes. Did he resign or get fired? No. Despite the outcry and resulting cost both in dollars and national detriment, nothing really happened.

Like it or not, those of you saying there should consequences are in effect, saying a double standard is acceptable. To paraphrase, it's not that they should be held accountable, but that they're simply "not too big to fail". :(

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is has always has been a double standard....doesn't mean we should lower our standards and expectations.

I called for Clinton's head...and am calling for consequences for those who violated USSS policy and applicable law. Just because I don't get what I want doesn't mean I endorse or accept a double standard.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Clinton did really set the bar here. Did he cheat on his wife? Yes. Did he potentially risk the OPSEC of this country? Yes. Did he violate an oath? Yes. Did he embarrass the country? Yes. Did he resign or get fired? No. Despite the outcry and resulting cost both in dollars and national detriment, nothing really happened.

Like it or not, those of you saying there should consequences are in effect, saying a double standard is acceptable. To paraphrase, it's not that they should be held accountable, but that they're simply "not too big to fail". :(

Like it or not you are saying that as long as everyone isn't held to the same standard or if the standard isn't enforced uniformly (which I agree is the ideal) then there shouldn't be any standards. While I understand and share your frustration, I cannot agree with your logic - that is plain and simple a path to disaster.

BTW - saying nothing happened to Clinton is incorrect - he was impeached by the House and Tried by the Senate and acquitted by one vote (IIRC). Agreed that isn't a conviction but it certainly is, at least, a public shaming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom