simple question on red dots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

reagan

I have never had a red dot or shot one. Are they effective at 100yrds? Can you see the dot in the daylight at 100yrds? Would you recommand one? Im got my first AR picked out and thought about putting a red on it. It will be used as a plinker and protection, sorry for the simple questions

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you want to spend as much on the sight as you did on your rifle? I recommend looking hard at Primary Arms. They are great performing sights for their cost.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with spending as much on your glass as you did on your rifle...it's quite common actually. But that being said, a quality Aimpoint and a mount can be had for less than a quality rifle.

+1 for Primary Arms though...I'm putting one on my kid's plinking AR after they have a good grasp of irons.

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's your first AR platform, skip the red dot for now and put a few thousand round trough it with iron / flip up sights and learn the guns natural aiming, pointing, balance and response before you start using optics. I'm a primary arms fan for red dots in terms of cost / performance bang for your buck, but if its your first AR, don't start shooting it with optics right out of the box or you'll never know what the gun does without one, or the difference in not having it. For some it's huge, for others not so much. I shot iron sights at 2/3 & 500yds competitively for 6 years and while I like red dots, they can be just as much of a pain as an asset in certain circumstances.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
xnavychief said:
If it's your first AR platform, skip the red dot for now and put a few thousand round trough it with iron / flip up sights and learn the guns natural aiming, pointing, balance and response before you start using optics. I'm a primary arms fan for red dots in terms of cost / performance bang for your buck, but if its your first AR, don't start shooting it with optics right out of the box or you'll never know what the gun does without one, or the difference in not having it. For some it's huge, for others not so much. I shot iron sights at 2/3 & 500yds competitively for 6 years and while I like red dots, they can be just as much of a pain as an asset in certain circumstances.

I guess I can agree with this to some extent. But, just because you have a red dot doesn't mean you have to use it. I have shot my AR for 6 months and I am just now looking at RDS.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent more on my scope than my AR and my AR wasn't cheap. A mere $1700 for my Colt and $2000 for my ACOG/RMR. Although the ACOG/RMR is a fantastic sight in hindsight I probably should have chosen something less expensive. Red dots are a great choice if you don't want the magnification. Personally I don't like magnifiers and I like having a magnified scope...if I did it all over again I would probably go with a Nikon P223.

Latest posts

Top Bottom