Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is more or less the same setup that we have. We bought ours from Costco.

Lorex 4K Security Camera System, 8-Channel 2TB DVR with 8 Analog Wired Active Deterrence Cameras https://a.co/d/cubSTL4
@TANSTAAFL i think this question may be answered in your post, but I didn’t fully understand the DVR VS NVR part so I wanted to clarify.
If I understand correctly, the power is fed through the wired connection, correct? So it all feeds from the box it’s connected to?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, if you can look at it on the cellphone others can too. Round abouts 30 bucks will buy you 4 solar power motion lights. Amazon .I know privacy is a thing of the past but to invite less is not my way of thinking.
If it's running wifi. If you're using cell data, not so much.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's running wifi. If you're using cell data, not so much.
My system is wireless but does not run through my wifi router. It is a dedicated system between the cameras and the recorder. If you know a way to view the video streams directly, I would be very interested in knowing how to do it. I hate having to use the vendors app to see my live video stream. It can be slow to connect and they are always throwing ads up on the screen.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@TANSTAAFL i think this question may be answered in your post, but I didn’t fully understand the DVR VS NVR part so I wanted to clarify.
If I understand correctly, the power is fed through the wired connection, correct? So it all feeds from the box it’s connected to?
With NVR, yes. It’s essentially a POE (power over Ethernet) setup. With mine, I simply have a bnc coax cable mated to my power cable, the BNC connector goes into the DVR (digital video recorder) box, and the power cable end goes into a pigtail plugged into the wall.

https://blog.swann.com/dvr-vs-nvr-whats-the-difference/

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know what your budget or level of nerd-dom looks like, but getting a ubiquiti dream machine would give you a video recorder, power over Ethernet/controls for cameras, and later on if you decide to get internet a managed network switch, a firewall, an intrusion detection system, and the ability to add wireless access points. It’s not cheap, nor is the whole system, but if you need all those features, it’s quite the bargain. It would also give you the modularity and privacy most people want. It’s on my future want list.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/udm-pro

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My system is wireless but does not run through my wifi router. It is a dedicated system between the cameras and the recorder. If you know a way to view the video streams directly, I would be very interested in knowing how to do it. I hate having to use the vendors app to see my live video stream. It can be slow to connect and they are always throwing ads up on the screen.
If your cameras are wireless to your recorder, it's wifi, unless you're paying for a cell service. You don't need a wifi router to connect wifi.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know what your budget or level of nerd-dom looks like, but getting a ubiquiti dream machine would give you a video recorder, power over Ethernet/controls for cameras, and later on if you decide to get internet a managed network switch, a firewall, an intrusion detection system, and the ability to add wireless access points. It’s not cheap, nor is the whole system, but if you need all those features, it’s quite the bargain. It would also give you the modularity and privacy most people want. It’s on my future want list.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/udm-pro
My level of nerddom is quite low in regards to technology. Born a century or two too late and all that. I hadn’t really decided on a budget, but when I started looking, all the finer points of anything over a grand were things I had never heard of. Just like your dream machine… I might need it, or at least benefit from buying it, but most of what you said I only have a very vague grasp of in regards to its function.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got any footage of yourself standing on the front porch scratching your junk?
Would you prefer commando in grey sweats or just the classic jeans?
Unless I'm mistaken, if you can look at it on the cellphone others can too. Round abouts 30 bucks will buy you 4 solar power motion lights. Amazon .I know privacy is a thing of the past but to invite less is not my way of thinking.
Sure, someone can hack it, but gas/car thieves aren’t going to analyze your network, hack into your signal, break your encryption/other security, and watch cars drive by on your footage. Or delete the footage of them. Too much work, most people with that kinda technical know how aren’t stealing gas anyways. A ski mask (or Covid mask) and a hoodie does just as good, and is a lot easier.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blink, Simply Safe, RemoBell and Defender (a system much like Night Owl.) By the way, I have found all the apps to be wonky, as well as the DVR software. The big dissadvantage with Swann or any NVR system is you may need to reboot your system and cameras frequently (1 X) per day. You can set it to auto reboot.
^^^^ This ^^^

Like I said, my Night Owl just quit after a few months. It has software that shows you can select up to four cameras to play back but I have only been able to select two and that is iffy. Saving video selected is wonky and the timeline slider isn't synched with the video alarm detection indicators.

My cameras all have great infrared capability and good color during the day. The resolution isn't that great but I can identify the type of car it is but no tag. All have microphones and all have a security light. They can even shout out a stupid unintelligible sentence like you are being recorded on security cameras. or a siren. Stupid crap like that.

Auto rebooting is just my point. Why should I have to reboot the system to keep it working when a wired system will just keep chugging along?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My level of nerddom is quite low in regards to technology. Born a century or two too late and all that. I hadn’t really decided on a budget, but when I started looking, all the finer points of anything over a grand were things I had never heard of. Just like your dream machine… I might need it, or at least benefit from buying it, but most of what you said I only have a very vague grasp of in regards to its function.
I don’t have any experience with their products yet, but I have heard wonderful things. With that being said, the learning curve will likely be exponentially steeper than a plug and play camera system.

I say get you a good 6-8 camera system similar to mine for 4-500 bucks, and use the money saved to buy some knee pads for the attic, a shiny new flashlight “cause the old flashlight isn’t good enough” some nice motion sensor exterior lights for the house, and a few locking gas caps. Maybe if you wanna get crazy get some door jamb reinforcement plates, upgrade your locks, and ensure you have locks on your garage doors. Then you’ve hardened your entire house and made yourself a very hard target in more ways than just protecting the car.

Latest posts

Top Bottom