Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^ This ^^^

Like I said, my Night Owl just quit after a few months. It has software that shows you can select up to four cameras to play back but I have only been able to select two and that is iffy. Saving video selected is wonky and the timeline slider isn't synched with the video alarm detection indicators.

My cameras all have great infrared capability and good color during the day. The resolution isn't that great but I can identify the type of car it is but no tag. All have microphones and all have a security light. They can even shout out a stupid unintelligible sentence like you are being recorded on security cameras. or a siren. Stupid crap like that.

Auto rebooting is just my point. Why should I have to reboot the system to keep it working when a wired system will just keep chugging along?
I had similar issues with my Amazon blink cameras at my old house. SUPER Easy to set up, but between changing batteries, picture quality, and software issues, I hated them.

To top it off, Amazon’s reputation of giving blink camera footage and nest doorbell footage to cops/ alphabet agencies doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with me.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your cameras are wireless to your recorder, it's wifi, unless you're paying for a cell service. You don't need a wifi router to connect wifi.
I think I didn't make myself quite clear. Yes the signal from the cameras to the recorder is wireless/wifi, but the signal goes direct to the recorder, not through my home wifi router. The recorder is connected to my router allowing it to stream the cam videos through the internet so they can be viewed off site using a proprietary app from the mfg. to log in and see the feed. I have been trying to find a way to see the wireless signal emanating out of the cameras directly without having to use the vendors app to do so.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@TANSTAAFL i think this question may be answered in your post, but I didn’t fully understand the DVR VS NVR part so I wanted to clarify.
If I understand correctly, the power is fed through the wired connection, correct? So it all feeds from the box it’s connected to?
Correct, with NVR, one network cable from each camera goes into the back of the DVR. With Standard BNC (they have a fancy metal twist connector on them) you have other connectors which go to an AC Adapter that you must plug in. It's all one cable going to the camera, but you will have at the DVR end a power adapter to plug into an extension cord or outlet. If your finicky about cabling and outlets, NVR is the best way to go, BNC is a bit of a headache.

BNC Cable w/o adapter:

1671217806139.png

NVR Cable:
1671217979380.png

I prefer NVR, however if your house is smaller (Not a long distance to run cable) BNC will suffice.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I think I didn't make myself quite clear. Yes the signal from the cameras to the recorder is wireless/wifi, but the signal goes direct to the recorder, not through my home wifi router. The recorder is connected to my router allowing it to stream the cam videos through the internet so they can be viewed off site using a proprietary app from the mfg. to log in and see the feed. I have been trying to find a way to see the wireless signal emanating out of the cameras directly without having to use the vendors app to do so.
No, you made it clear...no misunderstanding. That was reference the aspect of jamming the wifi signal.

Now, how is your recorder connected to your router? Ethernet or Wireless?

I'm gonna say you have an Arlo system or a Ring and it's wireless.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One major issue with WiFi Cameras, internet goes down, you are blind. With a DVR (Digital Video System) You may be unable to use a Smartphone or Tablet App, but as long as there is power they keep working. It is also YOUR CHOICE as to who you share info with. Blink, Ring, and some others have been shown to have had employees log in as well (for kicks.) DVR with a UPS and wired Camera's, no worries.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ This ^^^

Like I said, my Night Owl just quit after a few months. It has software that shows you can select up to four cameras to play back but I have only been able to select two and that is iffy. Saving video selected is wonky and the timeline slider isn't synched with the video alarm detection indicators.

My cameras all have great infrared capability and good color during the day. The resolution isn't that great but I can identify the type of car it is but no tag. All have microphones and all have a security light. They can even shout out a stupid unintelligible sentence like you are being recorded on security cameras. or a siren. Stupid crap like that.

Auto rebooting is just my point. Why should I have to reboot the system to keep it working when a wired system will just keep chugging along?
With my standard BNC powered cable connection I needed to reboot periodically as well, just not as often. Unfortunately the DVR boxes use a Linux/Android Operating system. With NVR Cameras they have an OS as well, which may not need to be rebooted as often since it is simpler. Auto Reboot? I just do it during the day while I am at home typically, keeps things running well. At some point I may go with a PC instead of the DVR and one of the open source camera programs. The DVR's no matter whom use a cheap processor. With my Defender system the box died after a year, cameras were still good. Sold the Cameras, upgraded to a Swann DVR and Cameras, but the DVR died after 1 and a half years due to a lightning strike.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you made it clear...no misunderstanding. That was reference the aspect of jamming the wifi signal.

Now, how is your recorder connected to your router? Ethernet or Wireless?

I'm gonna say you have an Arlo system or a Ring and it's wireless.
DVR only has an ethernet port and since it and my router are in different rooms I use a wireless bridge to connect the two.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great info guys, keep it coming.

My biggest reason for using a non-WiFi is we don’t have WiFi. Lol. Crazy I know, but my phone’s hotspot is 3x as fast as the WiFi we can get, and it costs me $5/ month for unlimited. I do have an Apple Watch now (I swore I’d never get one) for an extra 10/month that gets service so I can leave the phone at the house.

One of the wired models I was looking at would connect to WiFi and you could use an app on your phone to control and monitor the cameras. I probably wouldn’t use that, but it’s a nice option.

What is a UPS system?

@Snattlerake how much for you to come out of retirement? I was going to ask a local place, the former radio shack, if they install them, but sounds like you’re the guy for the job.
https://a.co/d/8OVxIip

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One major issue with WiFi Cameras, internet goes down, you are blind. With a DVR (Digital Video System) You may be unable to use a Smartphone or Tablet App, but as long as there is power they keep working. It is also YOUR CHOICE as to who you share info with. Blink, Ring, and some others have been shown to have had employees log in as well (for kicks.) DVR with a UPS and wired Camera's, no worries.
That is one of the reasons I like the system I have. If internet or my local wifi stops, I can still go to the room that has the DVR which has a dedicated video monitor attached to it and still see what's going on outside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom