Smoking fast Internet!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can beat that speed at work but at home I have crappy overpriced DSL and I'm lucky to have that.

At work we have synchronous 100Mb ethernet->ATM.
Usually tests out about 90Mbs both ways.

I would love to be part of the google gigabit project in Kansas city.
Only $70 a month.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...kansas-city-fiber-net-intros-google-fiber-tv/

Those speeds are over our internal wireless network. I wonder if LAN would be faster? Oh, your post is worthless without pics! Haha

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those speeds are over our internal wireless network. I wonder if LAN would be faster? Oh, your post is worthless without pics! Haha
LAN would be faster probably. Get as close to the demarc as possible.

I already know from other tests that my results would be almost exactly the same as those in tntrex's post above.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
beat this...

www.speedtest.net_result_2193577960.png

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this one!

www.speedtest.net_result_2193535822.png

So which server is hosting the test? Given you are at Williams, you probably are connected directly (or very close to, minimal hops) to the test server. My internal server speeds are very fast, but anything external is (relatively at 3-5 mbps) slow as we go through the firewall servers in Los Angeles.

What are your speeds when downloading from another site? i.e. download a Linux distribution and see what speeds you get?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this one!

www.speedtest.net_result_2193535822.png

So which server is hosting the test? Given you are at Williams, you probably are connected directly (or very close to, minimal hops) to the test server. My internal server speeds are very fast, but anything external is (relatively at 3-5 mbps) slow as we go through the firewall servers in Los Angeles.

What are your speeds when downloading from another site? i.e. download a Linux distribution and see what speeds you get?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of these test servers can be misleading and fluctuate quite a bit from one test to the next.
Different routes, changes in traffic, caching servers all affect the results.

If you really want to exercise your internet connection to the max try a good bittorent client and join a really large swarm(a popular linux distro on DVD is good).
You will have upwards of 100 simulataneous connections, both up and down, that will use up every last bit of your bandwidth unless you throttle it.
You will have to have inbound ports open and NAT'd.

Obviously most folks can't do that at work but some, like in IT, can justify it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom