So I Bought A New Mattresses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the old $1600 mattress with a 20 year warranty that I bought from this major furniture stor only lasted 10 years and wouldn't meet the 1 1/2" depth for the warranty to kick in so we bought a new mattress for $965 from the same very major furniture store in OKC. After 4-5 nights we noted our bodies had made impressions and we don't weigh but 150/180. So I called this major store and told them that it wasn't working out. They told me that since I didn't buy the mattress protector that I had no store warranty. I explained to them the I bought a protector with the old mattress and it was still serviceable and had no holes or tears. They didn't care, I had no warranty except with the manufacturer of the mattress.
The wife complained that her back hurt and I did too on a daily basis and I got tired fo that so I ordered a mattress off of Amazon-they sent one and it was very firm and we couldn't sleep on it so I called to return the mattress. They said, "Keep the mattress, we don't have anyone in your area to pick I up and we'll refund your $430 to the credit card."
I sent an email to the service department of the major furniture store telling them that if I couldn't obtain a resolution that I would have no recourse but to got o my credit card company and seek resolution. The service dept said they'd send my email to the General Manager and he would contact me. that was two days ago and they haven't responded.
So far I'm out $965 and I have shopped and bought furniture at this major store since 1968-they don't care so I am not going there for furniture again.
Moral of the story: Shop where the store stands behind the products they sell. Just a word to the wise. Nowhere on my purchase papers does it say I have to buy the mattress protector... I am not too happy with the major furniture store in OKC that advertises on TV a lot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the all suck, but I’ve been happy with Temputpedic, but I have also been happy with amazon 350 dollar knock off memory foam, in fact that what I’ll buy next but the tempurpedi adjustable base has served me well
We need to replace the mattress in our RV. We have heard great things from other RV'rs about the the Amazon memory foam.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I tried every mattress we could find from average cost to money is no object. With over a dozen surgeries under her belt (her nickname is co-pay) I though we would never get something that would not make her hurt . About a year or two ago we bought a Purple and have both been so very happy with it. You might try one out.

Best of luck

ETA:

Most people do not support their mattress like they need to be. This is especially true with any foam mattress. Mine has 1x3 slats from head to toe, 3 center supports, box spring, 3/4 plywood screwed to the box spring and then the mattress. Just my 2cts

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a cheap memory foam mattress and it took some getting used to but after 5 years it is still doing well and I am not light nor was my wife. We had a mattress that she had previously and it didn't hold up very well.

Honestly I think the memory foam is the way to go now. One of the best mattresses I ever had was just plain foam with a backer board on the bottom to help support it. The one issue with the memory foam is it can sink a little bit much and it takes a bit to bounce back and when the mattress is cold during the winter it can take a little bit before it molds to you. Oh and they insulate really well so you may need less blankets than you used to or may need to hang a leg out from under the covers but honestly I slept that way anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried a nice sleep number? I’ve only slept on a crappy one during a sleep study. Felt like a damn water bed
I love water beds. My wife made me get rid of ours because it wasn't "fashionable" any more. Who gives a rats butt if your getting great sleep and the side benefits of great boom-boom by creating tidal waves was a great side benefit.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my research- Sleep number is a pair of adjustable air mattresses with a board between them. Some people love them, but most people find the center section annoying and the whole setup overpriced. Does anyone have a mattress from OKC Mattress Company? They seem to have good reviews.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I bought, I got the hardest mattress I could find. Was $500 out the door. Put a six inch natural latex mattress on top of it, another $400. It's held up very well, super supportive and really cushy comfy. It doesn't require crazy deep sheets. When it does finally wear out, I'm only out for a new latex topper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom