So I Bought A New Mattresses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
We tried the Tempur-Pedic in 2005. The foam rubber smell was so strong we could not sleep on it for 2 weeks. After 30 days we exchanged it for a replacement; same odor problem and after a lengthy battle with Mattress Firm we got our money back.
Nine years ago we bought a Natural Form mattress. I discovered them after spending many nights at Hilton Garden Inn's who use their beds. It's very comfortable. Built around a 16 chamber air mattress (8 per side) with each side independently regulated by atmospheric pressure. I've had 2 chamber failures and they were replaced under warranty. It's not cheap but is made from high quality components.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I have had Select Comfort mattresses for the last 15 years. Our first was a home unit in what they called an "extended queen" sized mattress. When we sold our home and moved into the RV, the RV has a regular queen mattress. We wouldn't sleep on anything else.

I like telling people that with our Select Comfort, the wife sets her side at about 40 to 45 and I set my side anywhere from 80 to 100, generally 100. Even with that much difference in our comfort "levels," we can both rave about the mattress. How many other mattresses can provide couples that want different firmness just what they want?

As an addition to the above, I got to thinking about what others had said about the Select Comforts. There is not any "board" between the two air chambers. What may be there is a foam divider, but certainly not a board.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cheap memory foams don't normally hold up as well as better manufactures. There are differences in weight and density. My wife and I bought a Serta foam mattress 8 years ago it was about 15% cheaper than Temperpedic in the store. I ended up finding a place out of Las Vegas that sold them online and drop shipped it with white glove delivery saved taxes and probably another 10% so it was around $1600 for a queen vs $2k in the store plus tax. It came out of Texas I believe in a week or two. I am like the other poster said now. I can't sleep on anything but foam.

2 complaints I had it did off gas and smell for a month probably. I would suggest to anyone buying a new bed if you have bad allergies or sensitive to scents be prepared to let it air out in the garage for a while. The other thing they are very heavy.

The benefit is my wife and I both sleep so much better and lots of aches and pains went away after initial couple weeks of getting used to sleeping on it.
Don't believe any of the 15-20 year warranty crap. Bed normally last half that. If you calculate the cost of a good bed vs 10 years its pennys per night for good sleep. I guarantee if you were offered the ability to drop .25 in a can at night and be guaranteed great sleep you would have a pile of quarters by bed.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can not say enough good things about The Oklahoma Mattress Co.
I have always done business there. The owners name is Jim.
They hand make all mattresses to your desired level of firm. Mine if approaching 15 years old and for $200 they will pick it up, and take it and rebuild the matress with new springs, etc. AND remove the cotton (yes they are made of real cotton and not cheap ass foam), clean the cottom and put it back in. I paid $600 for a queen size 15 years ago and that price hasnt gone up much.
Mom and my grandma started using this Co years ago. Grandma actually took them a load or cotton grown on here farm and they built her mattress with her own cotton.
https://okmattress.com/latex_mattresses_pillows/talalay.html

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought the highest end Serta iComfort and it was amazing for about 3 years. Then the foam seemed to suddenly lose all of its resiliency. Went from firm and supportive to like sleeping in a hammock almost overnight. But since without any weight on it, it will spring back to its normal height, there is no sag, and hence no warranty coverage. Tempurpedic is the only foam mattress I would buy at this point. We have foam hybrids right now that are great but as soon as they go south, I’m getting a Tempurpedic Breeze. They are $3800 each for twin XL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom