So I Thought I Was Good...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always encouraged people to start reloading on a single stage.
Get the basics down, then move up to a progressive.
Some people start on a progressive and never have any problem.
Good for them.
I just think from a safety aspect not getting in a hurry is smart.
As far as dies go I use whatever brand I can find.
I've never really had any problem with any of them.
Although you can get a dude in any brand.
For the price Lee is hard to beat though.

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the weighted rod that goes in the primer tube marked for 10, 5 and 0 primers. When I'm going to do some loading, I load up a filler tube, fill the press, and reload the filler tube, so I have another hundred on deck.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep a can of compressed air handy for when you spill powder on the press.

If you get powder on the shellplate it can cause plate rotation issues or priming issues when, not if, it gets down into the primer slide channel or in/under the shellplate. There is no good place for spilled powder to fall off the press. Use the compressed air to blow it out of the crevices before it causes a problem.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is easy to make a witness rod for the primers and also the powder measure, I use both along with a penlight mounted so I can actually see if there is powder at the correct level in the case before I put a bullet in, really cuts down on embarressing moments at the range and culls

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I added a RCBS low primer warning to mine. Even with the primer warning stick it's easy to get distracted verifying all the steps. I have a case feeder which takes one less distraction out. You will quickly learn to pay close attention when you have to pull 20 bullets to verify powder or cause you missed the primers.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use both along with a penlight mounted so I can actually see if there is powder at the correct level in the case before I put a bullet in

This was something I was thinking about rigging up as well when I get mine set up. I just have to eyeball the powder level in the cases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom