So I was driving in the field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 50's you could buy Caymans at Kress stores for a couple of bucks. Lots of city's had loose gators when they got too big and turned loose. They don't make the winters though.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's illegal to own them in the city but http://www.alligatoralley.com still has some in the store(according to their FAQ; I haven't been there in forever) and they can arrange to sell to people who live out of town.

When we began business in 1988, it had just become legal to sell American Alligators again, after decades when they had been unavailable. My favorite reptile had always been the alligator, the word "alligator" starts with the letter "a" which is good when people are looking through a long alphabetical list of businesses, and it is more memorable than a name like "Bryan's Pet Store", while emphasizing the fact that we specialize in reptiles.
We have sold a number of alligators over the past years. The Wildlife Department of the State of Oklahoma has always regulated their sale, requiring every sale to be documented, owners to be licensed and inspected etc. In 1997, they decided that Title 29 of the Oklahoma State Statutes (our wildlife laws) had always been interpreted incorrectly in the past, and that it was illegal to keep alligators in the state. We were granted a grandfather letter allowing us to "keep and/or sell" our remaining alligators, since they had been approved already, but we were no longer given the required permits to bring them into the state. Not wanting to be "Alligator-less Alley", we decided to keep all the animals we still had in stock.
We reluctantly went back to selling South American Caimans (something we hadn't done when we had alligators). I say reluctantly, because so many buyers of caimans are not adequately prepared to house them in the long run. But we felt like we should carry a few, because other stores in the area had them, and we felt that we could at least educate potential buyers with accurate information when they came to the store (something that didn't always happen at some other stores).
In 2000, it became illegal to house crocodilians on residential property in Oklahoma City. We are still allowed to display our animals at the store, but people who live in the city are no longer allowed to buy them. It was with some relief that we no longer felt the need to carry any Spectacled Caimans to compete with other stores.
You can still see alligators here, and if you live out of town, we can still arrange to sell Dwarf Caimans (if you can convince me that you are prepared to care for them properly), but we will no longer sell any of the Spectacled Caimans.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of Gator's in Oklahoma. They burrow into banks to hibernate during the winter. Seen some on the Washita River south of ninnekah as a kid. I see them frequently down by lake texoma..

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope f' that.

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_thumb_c_c9_Alligator_poster.jpg_220px_Alligator_poster.jpg

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That might be one of the few alligator movies I haven't seen......putting it on my watchlist to see if I remember it(I've seen way too many movies; I have forgotten most of them).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to know an old boy whose wife was into caimans. The first one ate a rat but didn't kill it first, so the rat ate it right back. The second got left outside on the night of a sudden freeze and turned into a caimansicle. I never did hear what happened to the third one, but I have a feeling it met an untimely end, too...

Latest posts

Top Bottom