Social Media

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I new or old? :D Because I was pulled over with the mass exodus from GT.

I mean, we had TMC and J.P. here and let's not forget the great coffee table/vaccum cleaner ND coverup...... :D

We also used to have some real shooters that contributed.
Yeah, how far back do you have to go? Naked fat men with sombreros? Drunken rants by ER docs? Shopping carts of Wal-Mart meat? Lonnie coming out of the closet?

BTW - whatever happened to Danny Tanner?

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you said makes no sense..... you apparently know what happens on FB, Instagram and Twitter.....but you don't go there.

So I belong to ~10 or so gun groups on FB, and follow a ton of gun related accounts on Instagram. Twitter has definitely changed for the better but I don't really have much use for it. Either way, there's a TON more useful content than on here with regards to actual shooting. Just sayin....

Now I get the "liberals run it all" mentality, but I don't figure it's best to run and hide, but that's just me.
I don't have to go there to know what goes on , all you have to do is read anything resembling the news or go to any internet forum at all. Its full of FB and other social media nonsense and accounts of what happens.

As for running and hiding you aren't looking at that correctly. Facebook is a service and not a free one contrary to what you may think, yes they allow you to use it but they also monetize you and profit from you. Effectively you are paying them whether you know it or not and they make a lot of money from that interaction.

If I am going to be using a service or buying goods then I plan on spending my capital in a way that most closely aligns with my belief system and values.

The very few gun related boards I frequent and I want to stress this emphatically are ones I chose to spend time on because they more closely align to my values in content and do not collect data like a Kirby vacuum cleaner to the degree that Facebook does.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have to go there to know what goes on , all you have to do is read anything resembling the news or go to any internet forum at all. Its full of FB and other social media nonsense and accounts of what happens.

Well reading the news and the internet is rock solid lol..... no lies there eh?

As for running and hiding you aren't looking at that correctly. Facebook is a service and not a free one contrary to what you may think, yes they allow you to use it but they also monetize you and profit from you. Effectively you are paying them whether you know it or not and they make a lot of money from that interaction.

Sure I am. You think this forum isn't monetized? Ever been to Arfcom? Glocktalk? Forums aren't cheap.

If I am going to be using a service or buying goods then I plan on spending my capital in a way that most closely aligns with my belief system and values.

That's fine, but nobody has to buy anything on FB, IG, or Twitter. Take 5 of your top five brands of firearms for instance, are any of them on social media? Vendors?

Belief systems? Pretty sure there's all sorts of groups for that, political, religious, and of course anything firearm related.

The very few gun related boards I frequent and I want to stress this emphatically are ones I chose to spend time on because they more closely align to my values in content and do not collect data like a Kirby vacuum cleaner to the degree that Facebook does.

Well, they sell your data, but yes, obviously not the same scale as FB because they are smaller but it happens all in the same.

Look, I couldn't care less what people do, but the notion that people are "just getting on a few forums" and somehow believing you're not participating in the same exact things on other platforms is just silly. Social Media is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well reading the news and the internet is rock solid lol..... no lies there eh?

Sure I am. You think this forum isn't monetized? Ever been to Arfcom? Glocktalk? Forums aren't cheap.

That's fine, but nobody has to buy anything on FB, IG, or Twitter. Take 5 of your top five brands of firearms for instance, are any of them on social media? Vendors?

Belief systems? Pretty sure there's all sorts of groups for that, political, religious, and of course anything firearm related.

Well, they sell your data, but yes, obviously not the same scale as FB because they are smaller but it happens all in the same.

Look, I couldn't care less what people do, but the notion that people are "just getting on a few forums" and somehow believing you're not participating in the same exact things on other platforms is just silly. Social Media is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

I could care less where you devote your time, if you enjoy Facebook then sally forth and enjoy it. I am not going to do so as I have made it this far without using most of social media and it doesn't add value. Plus I have not seen any firearms board censor people , shadow ban , etc as the liberal run bastions of social media do .

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could care less where you devote your time, if you enjoy Facebook then sally forth and enjoy it. I am not going to do so as I have made it this far without using most of social media and it doesn't add value. Plus I have not seen any firearms board censor people , shadow ban , etc as the liberal run bastions of social media do .

I'm not trying to convince you to hop on FB, I'm just pointing out that......

1. Gun boards are monetized
2. Gun boards censor and ban people all the time, in fact the ironic thing here is that this board was started due to such practices on Glock Talk back in 2005.
3. There is actually MORE information on said social media platforms than a vast majority of forums.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to convince you to hop on FB, I'm just pointing out that......

1. Gun boards are monetized
2. Gun boards censor and ban people all the time, in fact the ironic thing here is that this board was started due to such practices on Glock Talk back in 2005.
3. There is actually MORE information on said social media platforms than a vast majority of forums.

I know plenty about the workings of this sort of thing. Your reading comprehension is kinda poor since you are trying to point out that which I already said the being with.

Circiling back I said places like Facebook are worse and they also censor on a far wider range than most of these venues do. Its true by the way. Large national voices don't frequent boards of this size but have presences on Twitter, Facebook , etc and have been censored and banned for their opinions .

I also do not care if there is in your opinion more information on Facebook which there isn't . I chose not to go there because of the liberal ownership and their biases along with their business practices .

And for what its worth if I wanted information on say US service rifles I won't go to a dumpster fire like FB or Reddit when I can go to CSP or the CMP forums where the real experts reside ... Or I will go to Luger Forums because Jan C Still is there. your milage might vary of course

Latest posts

Top Bottom