Some 1911 help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting failure to extract on my fathers 1911. It's a mutt built from mostly surplus parts by a friend of his years ago.

We pulled the extractor out of my Springfield ran like a top for the 3 mags we ran. So I'm thinking extractor tension or worn extractor.

Next I had it unloaded hammer back and safety on. I was able to get the hammer to fall. So another issue to address.

Looking for a little guidance here or looking for a 1911 mechanic to take a look at it.

Sent via message in a bottle

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with HiredHand that your thumb safety needs to be replaced. On the extractor. Check that the end of the extractor is still there. It wouldn't be the first time the tip that grabs the case broke off. If the extractor is still in one piece. Take tube slide off the frame and remove the barrel. Push a loaded round under the extractor. The extractor should hold this round against the slides breech face when the slide is held horizontal. If the extractor will not hold the round you'll need to adjust the extractor tension. You don't need special tools. Just start to take the extractor out like you mentioned in your post. Pull the extractor about half of the way out of the slide...to about the midway point where the middle full diameter extractor point is just about to exit the slide. This is the point where the extractor gets small toward the tip. Make sure you keep the extractor positioned as it is when inserted all the way in the slide. Now push the exposed end of the extractor toward the center of the slide. This will bend, or tension, the extractor. Go easy. A little goes a long way.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Solid advice in the above posts above. Should be easy. Lots of good help available here if you're unsure how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched a video on you tube by Wilson combat on how to check and test extractor doesn't seem to bad I'll check it this afternoon

As for the safety I think I have the oem safety off my mil spec still may see if it will drop in and change anything

Sent via message in a bottle

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The safety off your mil spec may be OK. In a perfect world, the safety on a 1911 should be fitted/tuned to each pistol. Try it, WITH THE PISTOL EMPTY! You've got nothing to loose. Good luck.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I had the pleasure of meeting becker_atc and looked at this old pistol with him. It appears that he needs a new sear/hammer, and I'd also get a new thumb safety, and extractor, and new springs all around as well. I think a new sear and hammer pin is in order too. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe a bent or damaged sear pin could cause some slight twist in there between the sear and hammer hooks as the parts work together. The extractor was also very worn; it wouldn't even come close to holding a 230 Gr FMJ round; I mean it was a good 1/16th" gap between the extractor hook and the case rim of the cartridge. You could tune (bend) that sucker all day long and no way was it gonna hold a cartridge in place against the breech face. You could also just "feel" the play in the fire control parts. As mentioned above, I suspect somebody got after it too aggressively on the "trigger job" or else just dropped some old, maybe already worn parts in and hoped for the best. There appears to be very little left of the engagement surfaces to hold the hammer back or maybe the angles got changed. (Bent sear pin maybe?) There is also quite a bit of wear to the lugs and the barrel link. You do have to grip it kinda hard and bear down on the trigger to get the hammer to fall with the thumb safety on, but it sure will. Most old 1911's have a story to tell, wish I could hear this ones tale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom