Son thinking about Marines...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Son has been talking about joining the military since he was young. He went to the oilfield for less than a year when his job fizzled. He is now planning to go to college this fall. His buddy (new Marine recruit) recently came home and now he's talking to a recruiter.

He is a smart kid, made a great score on the asfab? I don't have any close family who served. Am looking for real, truthful pros and cons from anyone who has recently served. You can pm me also. Thanks...

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently got out, circa 2012. Spent 4 years, most of the time I was a generator mechanic. Was stationed in California. One combat deployment to BFE somewhere in Helmand province, afghan in 2010. At times it was the worst time of my life, but I wouldn't trade even those terrible times for the world. Even if it is just 4 years, it is an experience that you cannot get anywhere else. Ever. I miss it every day. Why did I get out? Because we were downgrading to peacetime Marine Corps. We're already the abused violent stepchild of the armed forces, we don't get crap for funding unless you do "special" stuff, and get hand me down weapons for the most part. Peacetime Marine corps is a crapshoot. Promotions are non existent, we don't even get enough funding to go to the range other than our once or twice a year.
You don't get to deploy. The Marine corps lives to fight, and in peacetime we don't get that. Sitting around for the first 4 years of your career doing nothing sucks, it's not what anyone joins for. I don't want to cast a bad light on it, I feel it is the finest group of clean cut, dirty mouthed, violent bunch of professionals anyone could ask to be a part of.

It would be my absolute pleasure to sit down with you or with the both of you and answer anything and everything you could ever want to know. Just shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers or whatever. I live over by Yukon and am available most evenings. The construction industry is slow at the moment, so I only work 8 or 9 hours a day.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent 4 years in the Army and it provided my initial education in computers. However, I would not recommend anyone enlist, if there was any other options, until we get a President that respects the military.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I earned my living from the education provided by the military, to the day I retired.
The education they provided had to be supplemented by additional education on my dime as well as company benefits that paid for additional education.
It's a great place to get a trade, and the experience that employers are looking for.

Now for the down side. If your son can't pass in his classes, he will be assigned to the infantry.
Army's can't survive without infantry.

They are what every unit in the armed forces support.
It's the most honorable MOS out there.
If he ends up in that field, he still gets to learn discipline, leadership, etc that will be highly useful until the day they die.

Hope this helps.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, I would not recommend anyone enlist, if there was any other options, until we get a President that respects the military.

By "respects the military," I'd mean "doesn't send young kids to die to protect political and corporate interests."

I say that as one whose family includes honorable military service to the country back to before the United States was a country unto itself (specifically, the French and Indian War). My dad retired as a light colonel, and he has said outright that he wouldn't encourage anybody to join the military...when I was in ROTC myself.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent 21+ years in the Marines. My experience is not recent as I retired a long time ago. Like HoLeChit said, there were good times and there were not so good times. But I wouldn't trade my overall experience for anything. There were times when the true brotherhood stood out, when ordinary young men did extraordinary things because they were Marines. If he just wants to be a Marine, then great. I was in the Infantry; and am glad I was. The intangibles I acquired as a Marine Infantry Officer are immeasurable. I had to bust my ass every day, and I made sure that my men did too. They expected that, demanded that, and deserved that. We trained hard so that when we did have to go do our thing, we went with the mindset and abilities that we were not there to die for our country, but rather to make the other poor bastard die for his. However, If he is thinking that he wants to learn a skill he can use when he gets out, another branch may be a better choice. I have since completed my second career as a Higher Ed Administrator, but I will go to my grave as a Marine.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
By "respects the military," I'd mean "doesn't send young kids to die to protect political and corporate interests."

Dave, can you tell me the last time a war was fought without politics involved?

The military is a strictly volunteer service. Those who can handle it, go, those who can't, don't go. That means that when you go to MEPS and are sworn in you swear to defend this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Just because the commander in chief might not be from a similar standpoint as you, or makes stupid decisions, doesn't mean you shouldn't serve your country. It doesn't mean you shouldn't go to give yourself a good head start in life.

Everyone has their reasons to join the various branches of the military. And I'll let you in on a little secret that probably isn't taught in ROTC, but war isn't exactly glamorous, cool, or anywhere near as romanticized as anyone makes it out to be. In the Marine Corps, in 2010, in Afghanistan, I'll tell you exactly what I was doing, and what the majority of us were doing. Making sure that either guy beside you made it home alive. Made sure you did the best job you possibly could do while you were there. And I don't know of a single Marine or Corpsman that was maimed or killed for "politics" or "big business"or even our country. Every single one of them did it because it was their job. To take care of each other, so that your buddy to the left could make it home to his wife and kids, even if that meant you didn't.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
And to add on to what Dennis said, if it wasn't for the military I prob wouldn't ever go to school, and I most likely wouldn't have the job I have today. But the Marine corps taught me a high demand trade, professionalism, confidence, etc etc etc. and my schooling is free whenever I get my lazy butt into school. Not to mention, honorable military service really looks good on a resume. It has definitely helped me.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent 21+ years in the Marines. My experience is not recent as I retired a long time ago. Like HoLeChit said, there were good times and there were not so good times. But I wouldn't trade my overall experience for anything.
However, If he is thinking that he wants to learn a skill he can use when he gets out, another branch may be a better choice. I have since completed my second career as a Higher Ed Administrator, but I will go to my grave as a Marine.
+1
21 plus here as well. I am not one of those guys that runs around with Corps stickers in his vehicles nor do I wear Marine hats/shirts. I do however LOVE my Corps and what it did to me and for me. I frequently reflect back on the good and the bad and try to apply it to what I do each and every day. To second what has been said, don't join the Marines for a marketable skill after 4 years. There are other branches that do that better. Many time Marines spend very little time in their MOS (occupation).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
To second what has been said, don't join the Marines for a marketable skill after 4 years. There are other branches that do that better. Many time Marines spend very little time in their MOS (occupation).

I only spent about 20 months doing what I was trained to do, the rest of the time I did other things like work on trucks and heavy equipment, or have to stand guard duty and the like. But it can definitely get you pointed in the right direction. I wouldn't have known that I wanted to be a mechanic if I didnt do what I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom