Son thinking about Marines...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, he's a fine young man. He's doing it for himself, and to travel.

That's a large reason why I joined initially, along with the Cold War "death to Russia" thing. 22 years later I finally tapped out.

I hope he has a rewarding experience.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he's serious about joining, then he needs to look at all Branches. Even in Peacetime a Sailor gets the best training and sees the world.

Have him talk with a Navy recruiter.

This^^ I imagine the navy to be one of the best branches. I was never in the service, had a bad knee from a motocross wreck followed by surgery and they wouldnt take me. I couldnt run a block without severe pain in that knee so there was no way of faking it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is one thing to look into. The navy has more funding, more travel, and they're usually a good bunch of folks. I would rather have a FMF corpsman do surgery on me than a surgeon. Some of the best men I have ever met are FMF corpsmen. Becoming a navy corpsman attached to a marine unit is a great way to have fun with the marines, get the good training, and still have the navy backing him. Might even get a bonus out of the deal.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is one thing to look into. The navy has more funding, more travel, and they're usually a good bunch of folks. I would rather have a FMF corpsman do surgery on me than a surgeon. Some of the best men I have ever met are FMF corpsmen. Becoming a navy corpsman attached to a marine unit is a great way to have fun with the marines, get the good training, and still have the navy backing him. Might even get a bonus out of the deal.

I'm very biased when it comes to Corpsmen. If you can be a Corpsman at sea or with the Jarheads, there's nothing in this world you can't do.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very biased when it comes to Corpsmen. If you can be a Corpsman at sea or with the Jarheads, there's nothing in this world you can't do.

I'm biased to Navy Corpsmen too. But most Marines who have heard the sound of incoming fire are. Now as far a regular old garden variety squids...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's serious about joining, then he needs to look at all Branches. Even in Peacetime a Sailor gets the best training and sees the world.

Have him talk with a Navy recruiter.

Depends on what kind of training you are talking about.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marines are great. No doubt my favorite branch. Spent 22 years in the Navy, and all my operational career assigned to the Marines. My advice to your son would be to have a plan. Part of that plan should be an exit strategy, in case he decides not to make it a career. Have fun. See the world. Experience life......but get a college education while he's in. Education will give him the freedom to take advantage of more opportunities both in or out of the military.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was you I'd sit down with him and really discuss what type of work he is really interested in. The recruiters will try to steer him in an area that is hard to fill sometimes. I'd definitely have a guaranteed school before I raised my hand.

I did one tour in the navy and never worked in my field. went to school for 10 months and never got to use it. Graduated 4th in class. I seen no reason to stay in since I was so far behind in the skills to advance.

Finished my obligated reserve time in the Air National Guard .

I'd definitely look into the Air Force. They usually require higher test scores to get in. But I would still be looking into the type of work I'd be trained for that would cross to a civilian job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom