Soooo I want to build an AR - Where to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the idea of building something. Well at least picking out and putting together all of the parts. Where do I start for info ? Books, sites etc.... Recommended brands of components? Also want to do something besides .223/5.56 what should I consider ?

Thanks for the pointers.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO do a little more research @ http://www.ar15.com and find exactly what your want out of your rifle and that might save some time, money, and a headache or two.

There are so many ways to build these things that you can get lost or sidetracked by all the attachable gadgets.

If you dont want the .223 / 5.56x45, I would recomend going with the AR 10 unless you can afford more expensive or hard to obtain parts and even ammo.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If I was starting out again, knowing what I know now, here's what I would be doing.

Palmetto State Armory Lower Receiver - $79.95 - not much if any difference between forged lower brands functionally, just cosmetic... and price. Oh, another note on the lower, if you buy a lower fron the same place as the other parts, then you will be charged the 11% Federal firearms tax. So either purchase at different places or times.

PSA MOE Lower Build Kit - $124.99 - upgrades the standard LPK (lower parts kit) with the Magpul MOE stock, grip, and trigger guard. A typical LPK will be ~$50+, can be found on sale, $40 is as low as I've seen. The buffer tube, buffer, spring, and parts, combined with the Magpul bits make that a pretty good deal. All this stuff is pretty much "bolt on" and can be changed easily.

PSA 16" Mid LW Upper - $469.95 - The barrel and handguards are a little more difficult to change yourself, but can be done at home with basic tools when/if you desire later. Base price for this upper is $329.95, but that doesn't include the BCG (bolt carrier group), which is necessary for the gun to function. That is $70. The other options I would add are the Magpul MOE handguard ($20) and MBUS rear sight ($50). That brings the total to the $469.95 I listed at the beginning.

The total for the rifle would be:
$79.95 + FFL transfer (~$10)
+ $124.99
+ $469.95
+ shipping ($31 for me)

= $715.89

I'll try to explain some of my choices later.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, if looks are of no major concern. I would start looking for blemeshed parts from major companys. You can essentially put together a complete rifle for $4-500 and have a nice setup. But with my last 2 builds I quickly realized that I don't want anything on my rifles but iron sights. KISS

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll try to explain some of my choices later.

Here we go.

For the most part, in my opinion, there's basically two categories for ARs: emphasis on lightweight, and emphasis on precision.

Obviously that's not a hard fast rule, there are many that blur the lines, but at their most fundamental, they are polar opposites. Finding the balance you want - if you choose to not have multiple dedicated rifles - is no easy task. The possibilities are endless. And in short, starting with one end of the spectrum is simpler, and cheaper; with the lighter KISS type guns being the cheapest.

The barrel is the most important factor in the accuracy/precision game, and is one of (if not) the heaviest single components in the rifle. A 16" lightweight profile barrel is the lightest you can get without getting into NFA worries (SBRs) or having to go to a pinned/welded flash hider. The Magpul furniture offers better ergonomics vs the M4 stock and A2 grip, and the MOE handguard offers a lot more modularity without going to one of the myriad of free float handguards - which can be costly.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spend a month or two just reading everything you can on AR15.com and M4Carbine.net.

The AR world is full of so many different types of people with so many different objective uses of their rifles that you're going to get all kinds of different opinions. Ultimately, you have to read up on what's available and decide what fits your needs best.

I took about 3 months of casual daily reading and researching on topics before I bought my first part aside from the lower receiver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom