speaking of the white deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a law like some of the others we have in Ok that maybe not stupid, but not really necessary.
Some of them have been knee jerk laws like the .22 law in the deer hunting regs.
My Mod 12 Win shotgun will hold 7 rounds, and is legal for deer, as well as the Mossberg 600AT with a 10 round tube.
The ak, or ar in anything other than .223 is legal to have more than a a 7 round mag.
I'm not advocating the "right" to have a 30 round mag, but COME ON!
One shot on a deer in the woods, and they are gone. A second shot in a scope after recovering from the recoil is rare.

What do we need to do to lobby the legislature to change these laws?

Keep in mind that the ODW does not produce these laws. The only people in the state that can make laws is the legislature.

I'm not saying OSA needs to be a lobbying agency as there are legal things that would prevent that, but how could a grass roots group develop to lobby the legislature to repeal/ remove these stupid regulations?
I know we have some folks on this forum that could advise?

What do we all consider to be laws that are needing to be updated/revised?
We have a lot of people from different parts of the state, so we represent a good portion of the state.

I've been told that internet polls are nothing but ways to get peoples internet addys, and the legislators can just block them with a key stroke.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - I have worked with ODWC on changing 2 concerns that I had with the fishing regs. In both cases the changes were submitted to the general public and both changes were approved and now in the regs or will be 1/1/11. It can be done. You just have to know who to work with. What is your suggestion? The suggestions must be written and submitted by August.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - I have worked with ODWC on changing 2 concerns that I had with the fishing regs. In both cases the changes were submitted to the general public and both changes were approved and now in the regs or will be 1/1/11. It can be done. You just have to know who to work with. What is your suggestion? The suggestions must be written and submitted by August.

I think we could do that as a group. One person may have an opinion about what needs to be changed, and another disagree.

Something to work on I'm thinking. I've attended all of the local ODW meetings that they schedule in our area, and in their presentation, they have said that comments they have heard from the field, have influenced them to make recommendations to the ODW, that will in turn make recommendations to the legislature to get the laws passed.

I know that when I told the Captain of the NW part of the state the crossbow was legal for all of bow hunting, when the reg first was published, he was unaware of the new reg.

So, You folks, don't blame our ODW for laws that aren't reasonable, they don't make em. They just make suggestions.
There are a couple of powerful outdoor lobby organizations that are influencing our legislatures for these new laws, and some of the old ones.

George, this may be a plan to be worked on. Would appreciate any insite you may have.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to use smellhounds like my daschund to bloodtrail and find a downed deer. There's a big difference between running deer with dogs and using a hound to find a poorly hit animal. I'd like to see that changed in the laws.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to use smellhounds like my daschund to bloodtrail and find a downed deer. There's a big difference between running deer with dogs and using a hound to find a poorly hit animal. I'd like to see that changed in the laws.

I would like this if you wouldnt have bunch of jack@ss running deer claiming they are just tracking one. We already have a lot of people who will run with dogs, that would just give them a way out... but i still like the idea of not losing a deer

Latest posts

Top Bottom