Speeding ticket question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma anything written under 10 does not go on your driving record so your insurance will not go up.

Absolutely NOT true.

EVERY infraction goes on your record. That's what employers and others see. Anything under 10 is not shown when insurance agencies do MVR requests on you because their requests are filtered for Oklahoma. Not all states filter for insurance though. As well as non-moving violations. I know. I recently ended a 9 year employment with a company that provides MVR service to its customers and I was a subject-matter expert on it.

So true...if you get written up for less than 10, insurance agencies won't know it. Other requestors however, will.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
Section 11-810 - Recording of Points for Convictions
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license and commits the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person who commits the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not report or assess points to the driving record of any person, as maintained by the Department, for a conviction of exceeding the speed limit by at least one (1) mile per hour but not more than ten (10) miles per hour.

B. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license committing the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person committing the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not record or assess points for convictions for traffic offenses on the driving record of any person as maintained by the Department, where such conviction is for exceeding the speed limit prescribed in this title, but not exceeding the speed limit previously in force where the violation occurred.
C. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license committing the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person committing the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not record or assess points against a person for out-of-state convictions of exceeding the speed limits of that state, provided the person did not exceed the speed limit previously in force as of January 1, 1974, in the state where the conviction occurred

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So go to court and tell the judge you were doing 69 in a 55 zone, not 59 in a 50 zone. It should go over great. You should be out of court in less than 30 minutes. All sarcasm aside, go to court and see what happens.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 47. Motor Vehicles

A. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license and commits the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person who commits the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not report or assess points to the driving record of any person, as maintained by the Department, for a conviction of exceeding the speed limit by at least one (1) mile per hour but not more than ten (10) miles per hour.

B. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license committing the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person committing the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not record or assess points for convictions for traffic offenses on the driving record of any person as maintained by the Department, where such conviction is for exceeding the speed limit prescribed in this title, but not exceeding the speed limit previously in force where the violation occurred.
C. Except when the person is the holder of a commercial driver license committing the offense while operating any vehicle or when the person committing the offense is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Department of Public Safety shall not record or assess points against a person for out-of-state convictions of exceeding the speed limits of that state, provided the person did not exceed the speed limit previously in force as of January 1, 1974, in the state where the conviction occurred

Correct, they don't report as points towards suspension on your drivers license, but they still show up publicly in court records and the insurance companies will know about the conviction if they pull a C.L.U.E. report or a MVR on you. The conviction shows as speeding 10mph or less.

Quit your whining even if the speed limit had been 65 you still would have been speeding, so pay the fine take your lumps and move on with your life.

There's a good reason to slow traffic down in that area with 244 being narrowed down and single file across roller coaster bridge onto wb 244 it's nuts during the weekdays. Weekends not so much but posted is posted and there's no exception for time of day.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless the ticket is in a jurisdiction that will take significant time to travel to, fight it. All these guys that say "just pay it, you were speeding" make me shake my head. The only reason they have reduced speed right there is to make ticket revenue. I got stopped in Guthrie last November right after Thanksgiving. I have a $750 radar detector, it never made a sound. He says I was doing 65 in a 45, which is BS BTW, and ended up writing me for 55 in a 45. $250 ticket. I even sent my radar detector back to the manufacturer to be checkedd. This is the section of hwy 33 where it drops from 70 to 45 in about a half mile around a curve. I was talking to Payne County deputy friend and
My radar detector picks up radar artifacts for over 4 miles, even with instant on. I don't drive that fast, but I push the limit. Take it to court and fight it unless you just don't have time. Guthrie is known for throwing the law out of the window when it comes to tickets, so not much chance there, but maybe you have a shot. I got a ticket abotu 15 years ago in Nichols Hills, I pulled out of a 7-11 and forget to turn my lights on for a bout 50 feet (the street are very well lit, I didn't realize they were not on). Got pulled over, taken to jail for DUI (I was sober as a judge in church), where they realized I was not drunk, I just forgot to turn my damn lights on. Gave me a $100 court OR bond for court. Judge found me not guilty, yet ordered me to pay $100 in court fees. I didn't even do anything wrong. FYI, I
Always take it to court.

Last edited by a moderator:

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how you guys act like you don't speed. :) the most I do on 169 is 70. No one slows down right there. I've rode beside cops going through there 65mph. Nothing ever happened.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one said they don't speed. They are saying that you were speeding so pay the ticket.

I paid two tickets last month. I was speeding - got tickets - paid them

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not acting like I don't speed, I just an adult and accept the fact that if I get caught speeding I am going to have to face the consequences of it. You were doing almost 20 over the limit in a construction zone, if I am not mistaken he could have written you for reckless driving. Man up, pay the fine and learn your lesson.

BigTulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 47. Motor Vehicles

You can quote that, but I've seen it with my own eyes. Even when a driver is NOT a CDL holder. It goes on the master MVR record of everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom