Speeding ticket question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you were cut a break. Fight it anyway.

We get nickeled and dimed every day in taxes. Get your nickels back!

Whether they gave you a break or not, they made an error on the ticket leaving you with an opportunity to get it dropped.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Radar detectors are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe better. I can pick up a hipo from 4-5 miles away on a straight stretch of highway. What's the point of 400+ horsepower if you never get to use it? Just because you are legitimately speeding doesn't mean you should just pay the ticket. I guarantee you if one of you got popped for anything serious, you would plead not guilty and fight the charge, even if you were guilty. That's a lawyer's job, to get you off or get it reduced. I got a reckless driving ticket once for doing a burnout (alright, it was a block-long NHRA funny car burnout). I fought it, got it knocked down to an under-10 speeding ticket, paid a $100 fine and had 6 months probabtion. BIG difference between no points and $100 versus $500+ and 5 points. I don't think the officer appreciated the fuel cell, 5-points and serious lope of that truck. He damn near took me to jail.

I have been stopped a time or 50. Tickets suck, fight 'em.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Radar detectors are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe better. I can pick up a hipo from 4-5 miles away on a straight stretch of highway. What's the point of 400+ horsepower if you never get to use it? Just because you are legitimately speeding doesn't mean you should just pay the ticket. I guarantee you if one of you got popped for anything serious, you would plead not guilty and fight the charge, even if you were guilty. That's a lawyer's job, to get you off or get it reduced. I got a reckless driving ticket once for doing a burnout (alright, it was a block-long NHRA funny car burnout). I fought it, got it knocked down to an under-10 speeding ticket, paid a $100 fine and had 6 months probabtion. BIG difference between no points and $100 versus $500+ and 5 points. I don't think the officer appreciated the fuel cell, 5-points and serious lope of that truck. He damn near took me to jail.

I have been stopped a time or 50. Tickets suck, fight 'em.

He got a ticket for going 9 over, hardly a serious offense.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just saying, guilt is guilt, fighting doesn't change that. The .gov is after your money, they will try at every turn to get it. I am of the opinion you should fight them at every turn. Fighting authority is the American way, it is literally what this country was founded on.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
71buickfreak said:
I'm just saying, guilt is guilt, fighting doesn't change that. The .gov is after your money, they will try at every turn to get it. I am of the opinion you should fight them at every turn. Fighting authority is the American way, it is literally what this country was founded on.

I like this guys thinking.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man up, pay the fine and learn your lesson.

What lesson?

Was the posted speed limit reasonable and within regulation?
Was the correct limit used for reference on the written ticket? (4mph over vs 9mph over is a big difference in terms of give and take for variations in slope, tire size, speedometer wear, etc.)

I would prefer to fight it. That ticket could preclude you from being eligible for certain jobs by certain employers' policies.

But it doesn't have to be a big fight. Some people view speeding tickets as merely another tax, and rightfully so. Speed limits really have no effect on the real flow of traffic as the vast majority of people will travel at the same responsible and safe speed regardless of what the posted speed limit is. The posted speed limit is an arbitrary point set simply for revenue generation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom