Squirrel Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone in central Oklahoma run squirrels with dogs? My son has been after me for a bird dog and having done that for the last 20 years or so I am not wanting to run bird dogs anymore. So, I am thinking squirrels but have no idea where to begin and could use a mentor. Anybody? Book recommendations? Thoughts?

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
We use fox or jack russel terriers (sp). If you can find someone with fiest they make real good squirrel dogs.alot of people use plots,walkers,blueticks,redbones,black and tans.I even had a beagel that would tree them.it's mostly finding a dog that will take interest in them. Next is find a good location with alot of squirrels jump a few out on the dog to fight and start working with it.we start our pups at about 6mths old using the tails as drags and playing tug awar then let them kinda chew on a freshly shot squirrel . It's like training a bird dog takes time . Main thing we like about the smaller dogs is they don't bark much just when they tree the squirrel.

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you need a dog for squirrels?

Speaking as an old coon hunter, you either love to watch dogs work or you don't! Some guys hear music in the woods others just hear a bunch of dogs barking. I even love to watch my rat terrier pup get after mice in the barn. Hope to start him on squirrels this spring. To boil it down some of us just get hooked on dogs!

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
Almost any dog is a potential squirrel dog. When I was young, I complained to my Dad that when I hunted squirrels, they would keep running through the trees until they found a hollow tree to get in. He told me to take the family dog which I always made stay behind. The next time I went, that dog saw a squirrel, and ran it up a tree almost immediately. From then on I always took that dog and he would even smell them and start looking up in the trees. A squirrel will stay in the tree and bark at the dog most of the time, making it easier to kill the squirrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom