Squirrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jschatz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a quick question. Do i need to have an unfilled deer tag to hunt squirrel with a 22 during deer season on private land? I would assume i would be required to wear the proper Blaze orange including hat and upper body garment.

Thanks.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as it is no bigger than .22lr you can hunt during deer season but you can not carry a bigger rifle than that without a valid deer tag. You don't have to have a license for small game on your own land either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Legally you do need to wear either an orange hat or vest during deer season.

Evan
It would be a safety thing, even on your own land as we all know how these poachers like to sneak in on others lands to take a deer, and somebody out in full camo may become a victim

I live in the country, surrounded by woods, and when outside, I always wear my orange ball cap, and never wear white during gun season.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legally you do need to wear either an orange hat or vest during deer season.

Evan

That would be correct. It is not a public vs private land kind of thing. From the www.wildlifedepartment.com FAQ.

Who needs hunter orange while hunting?

All deer gun, muzzleloading firearms, special antlerless deer, elk and antelope season hunters must conspicuously wear both a head covering and an outer garment above the waistline, both totaling 500 square inches or more of clothing, both consisting of daylight fluorescent orange color totaling at least 400 square inches. The camouflage orange pattern is legal as long as there is at least 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange. All other hunters, except those hunting waterfowl, crow or crane, or while hunting furbearing animals at night, must wear either a head covering or upper garment of fluorescent orange clothing during the deer gun, deer muzzleloading firearms and holiday (special antlerless) deer seasons. Archery controlled hunt permittees are exempt.

The Huntress

New to the site!
Reaction score
As long as it is no bigger than .22lr you can hunt during deer season but you can not carry a bigger rifle than that without a valid deer tag. You don't have to have a license for small game on your own land either.

If I have .22LR on private (family or friend) land, hunting small game, I don't need a license in OK?

Latest posts

Top Bottom