"Step Up Oklahoma" says they can solve OK financial woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And now it's all moot: http://newsok.com/step-up-plan-defeated-in-house-despite-majority-vote/article/5583230

FTA:
The Oklahoma House of Representatives defeated a $581 million package of proposed tax hikes late Monday night — creating more uncertainty about how the Legislature will balance the budget and fund a teacher pay raise.

Although a majority of House members voted in favor of the bill, the tally fell well short of the three-fourths majority needed to pass tax hikes in Oklahoma. The vote was 63 to 35. The bill needed 76 votes to pass. Fifty-three of the 72 Republicans in the House voted for the package, as did 10 of the 28 Democrats. One seat is vacant.

The bill was backed by Step Up Oklahoma, a statewide coalition of Oklahoma business and civic leaders.
Thank you 35 reps, for doing the right thing for Oklahoma!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't care how they pay for the bus. Escrow the $$ and pay for the trips out of it. Couple million $ invested may pay for the bus rentals and keep the funds intact. But then they would have to find another way to get money out of the public.
funding does not work that way.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious how many agencies and programs have been started in the last 10 years. Cut those budgets first, kinda fifo. The across the board cuts and raises is BS. They don't want to piss someone off so they take the easy way out. We "hire" them to make the tough decisions. If your just gonna take up space and agree, why do we need a legislature. Cut their budget and I bet this mess would be staightened out.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes....minority rule. 35 get their way....and my kids class sizes will go up another 5, maybe 10, students. If they are lucky they can have a 4 day school week too! You're doing fine Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Ok! Dead last in the country in edumacashun and no end in sight!!!

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
funding does not work that way.
I know it doesn't. That's why they're always beggin for more every time the clock strikes 12.
A few years ago Vance AFB had a huge surplus they needed to blow to keep their $ allotment. They busted up the taxi ways and repoured the concrete. That's how finance works in .gov.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it doesn't. That's why they're always beggin for more every time the clock strikes 12.
A few years ago Vance AFB had a huge surplus they needed to blow to keep their $ allotment. They busted up the taxi ways and repoured the concrete. That's how finance works in .gov.
Exactly. One of my former duty stations had buildings with tile roofs on most of the buildings that never go bad, but to keep the annual maintenance $$, they had to remove the tiles, hit em with a wire brush to brighten the finish and re-install them.
Don't remember the exact cost, but it was in the millions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom