Stop a dog from barking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set up an outdoor light with a switch next to your bed

When the dog barks, turn the light on, then soak the dog with a garden hose, squirt gut, lawn sprinkler or any other fun technique.
When it shuts up, turn off the light.

Soon they will react to the light.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
First things first, have a chit chat with the neighbor. I’m willing to bet it doesn’t do anything though. Next, I’ve actually found yelling at the neighbors dog from your back yard works. Yelling at my neighbors husky to shut the eff up had a little success. Whether it was because the neighbors get The picture or the dog did, I dunno.

In OKC you can have barking complaint warnings sent to people’s houses. You can also request an animal welfare officer come out and have a chat with them about it. Norman has a pretty well established animal welfare department, I’m willing to bet they have something similar. Bringing some sort of hand written record of times that the dog has barked excessively, as well as a few videos is immensely helpful. After that, if you don’t have a dog, I would get one of those electronic bark devices, mount it pointing at the neighbors yard.

If none of those go back to your animal welfare department and ask to have a citation written. It will have to be in your name and your neighbors will know you signed it against them. You may have to go to court to testify as to it’s validity before the judge, as technically the officer wrote the ticket based upon your testimony and experience. This is where you definitely need those recordings for this.

if none of that works, get a new neighborhood. Or if you want to get obsessive/disruptive, get an air horn or something loud and disturbing. Something that will scare the dog. Every time the dog barks, blow the horn. Eventually the dog will associate the scary noise with barking, and will stop. This may get you a visit from the cops or animal welfare though.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Norman I had this happen, dog barks constantly.
Call ed neighbor at 2 am, they put it inside for the night. Next night, dog barks again, called neighbor, same deal.
Third night, dog barks for 2 hours. At midnight, I called the police dept dispatch while standing next to the fence so the officer could loudly hear the dog.
20 minutes later, officer shows and asked if formal or non. I said non for tonight unless he thought it should escalate, nope. He walks next door and knocks, several minutes, door opens. Thank you good night. No more dog barking.
Norman dog curfue is 9 pm.

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't someone set rabbit/ coyote distress call for predator in their yard and left it on all night and left the house. When they returned, the neighbor, with the barking dog, asked him to stop the noise. He told the neighbor why he did it and said he would do it as long as the dog barked. That put a stop to the barking dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom