Anyone Deal With Low Rider Dog Rescue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow the rescues are getting stupidly slow to respond. I tried to join a rescue group on FB and still have not heard back from them.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this place. They are a vet clinic but I know they have a fund set up you can donate to so they can care for injured animals people bring in to them (like strays hit by cars, etc.). I saw an article recently that they had had an up tick in stray/homeless animals being brought in to them for care. Maybe they have something?? Or know of a place that will be more responsive?? I don't know anything about them other than this clinic has been there for at least 25 years. Good luck!

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Skiatook paws and claws may have something your after. Both my pitties have come through there and been wonderful dogs. Might look at Pitbull rescue Oklahoma, He is down south a ways, but usually has 2-300 rescue animals at any given moment, small dogs included.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it's back to square one, I heard back from them finally. They said we were not a good candidate for Rex due to our having a medium sized dog already. Didn't matter that Gus has spent 9 of his 10 years around a maltipoo (what we were trying to adopt) and done just fine. :anyone:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have sent two inquiries on dogs to them, with no response back in about a weeks time. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them before and if this is normal or we should try to email them outside of their application process? We're looking for a small dog as we had to put our other one down a couple of months ago and my wife is missing something small and furry to cuddle. Our medium sized dog is definitely not a cuddler. Low Rider Rescue is technically a Dachshund rescue, but they deal in other small dogs too, which is what we are looking at, mainly poodle mixes.
Where are you located? My wife is very active in the Oklahoma rescue community, she might be able to help.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several people have commented on cost of adoption fees and slow service from rescues. My wife runs a rescue specializing in giant breeds, so I have a lot of experience in that world. The cost of basic vetting for a giant is more than 400 right now. The fees my wife charges rarely if ever cover all the expenses incurred in rescuing the dog. If a dog is in poor condition or needs more extensive vet care, which most of them, the money comes out of our pockets or from donations. The state of the economy has decimated the donor base. Most people just don’t have the money available. The number of volunteers has also dropped. People are working more to make ends meet, and don’t have time or resources available to take on foster dogs. My wife works full-time, so she mostly handles correspondence on weekends. I imagine that most rescues are in the same position. Additionally, the number of dogs being abandoned has ballooned in the past year. It’s never ending. It also seems that the crazies have come out of the woodwork. Rescue has always involved dealing with the scum of humanity, but it’s gotten really over top in the past year. We have been dealing with a situation in which my wife received death threats over a dog. I guess the long and short of this rant is, be nice to dog rescues, we are doing the best we can.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I sent out another round of applications yesterday and received replies from two rescues (Low Rider being one of them) today. What a difference a couple of weeks make, go figure. We have an appointment tonight to go look at four maltese puppies to see which one we like best. I never figured on having much of a choice in the process to be honest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom