Storm Preppers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If only everyone were like you and would watch them from home, instead of clogging up the roads trying to catch a glimpse of something that's easier to see on the news channels. I'm one of many county storm spotters who have almost been sideswiped while sitting watching a storm.

I spot too, and try to stay away from everyone including other spotters. I always park completely off the road, and try to avoid any busy roads if possible.

I've had people figure out what I'm doing, and then try to follow me if I move like I'm leading them to a tornado or something. I'm like dudes, I'm just trying to keep a good view of what's approaching and/or avoiding some hail. This isn't a TV show and I'm not chasing a tornado (that doesn't exist). I'm just watching a storm is all. It's not that exciting unless you're a nerd.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Batteries in the cameras are charged and truck is full of gas. Also got some stick-on magnetic signs that say "Redneck Storm Spotter" to put on my chase vehicle.....

[Broken External Image]

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I spot too, and try to stay away from everyone including other spotters. I always park completely off the road, and try to avoid any busy roads if possible.

I've had people figure out what I'm doing, and then try to follow me if I move like I'm leading them to a tornado or something. I'm like dudes, I'm just trying to keep a good view of what's approaching and/or avoiding some hail. This isn't a TV show and I'm not chasing a tornado (that doesn't exist). I'm just watching a storm is all. It's not that exciting unless you're a nerd.

I hear you there, almost all county roads quickly become impassible due to mud, so everyone drives along in a giant caravan on the hi-ways. County sheriffs usally have to get involved before it's all over.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Tulsa and am not really worried about storms anymore. If It looks bad enough I will be driving around. If sirens go off when I am at home first thought is empty the safe and hold onto the guns. Hope is there are any bad storms no one gets hurt though

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Batteries in the cameras are charged and truck is full of gas. Also got some stick-on magnetic signs that say "Redneck Storm Spotter" to put on my chase vehicle.....

[Broken External Image]

So what agency are you affiliated with and who do you report your info and observations to?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone commented on one of the flat shelters for one's garage. In my opinion, I wouldn't want to be involved with one of those. If a tornado (or other storm) damaged one's house enough, it could end up with part of the roof on top of one's shelter door. Granted, one can register their shelter with the local authorities, but how long would it be for someone to actually check out one's location, especially if they are looking after fires, other damaged areas, and preventing looting.

If I were to have a storm shelter, it would be outside to the Southwest of the house.

My preparations are to turn on the TV and watch the weather and the storm's track and react accordingly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom