Storm shelter recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went to the Home and Garden show here in Tulsa last March and picked one from Family Safe. All steel installed in our garage rated to F5. They had local credit union there with financing available. It was quick and easy.

If you haven't got one yet the H and G show it in March I think the 7th and 8th there will be all kinds there to look at.

scha2707

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used Storm Safe Tornado Shelters in the OKC area last summer for an in garage ground shelter. Everything appears great, but fortunately we haven't had to try it out.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking preppers would know a good storm shelter. My wife and I like Biggs from what we've seen so far, but what do you guys think?

I've known the Biggs for 20+ years. They have a good product and do a good job on their installs. My brother-in-law has one of those in-floor shelters in his garage. I wouldn't ever get one. I'm claustrophobic and that thing felt like a coffin. Couldn't stand up straight in it.

Jace

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had an 8 man unit installed in our garage floor four weeks before the May 24th 2011 EF5 took our home and two cars. It saved our lives for sure. It took me about 5min to get out since debri collapsed on top of it. I am sold on this type of unit, however, it would be very difficult for a handicapped or elderly person to get in or out of one, thus perhaps making a person play the odds of should i or should I not get in this time.

BTW, our shelter had about 6" of water flow into it within 5min of the tornado hitting, soaking/ruining some of the important things we had placed inside with us

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had an 8 man unit installed in our garage floor four weeks before the May 24th 2011 EF5 took our home and two cars. It saved our lives for sure. It took me about 5min to get out since debri collapsed on top of it. I am sold on this type of unit, however, it would be very difficult for a handicapped or elderly person to get in or out of one, thus perhaps making a person play the odds of should i or should I not get in this time.

BTW, our shelter had about 6" of water flow into it within 5min of the tornado hitting, soaking/ruining some of the important things we had placed inside with us

Very cool story. The elderly have an option of doing a safe room if they can't go down stairs.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually own F5 Storm Shelters. We have done well over 400 storm shelter installs in the OKC area. I will offer a 10% discount to any OSA member that opts to get one. Check out our website for more info.. or feel free to PM me. You can also click on our facebook link on the website for real world testimonials from all of our happy clients. You can see tons of pics on the website and facebook. Unlike other companies we actually offer a lifetime warranty while many of our competitors offer prorated warranties than disappear after 10 or 20 years. We also plasma cut our logo in the lid for more light and ventilation. Most companies use the gap between their front and back lid along with small vent slots for their ventilation, which doesn't compare to ours. All of our shelters are coated with coal tar epoxy to prevent corrosion. All of our shelters meet or exceed all FEMA guidelines. We take VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, cash, personal check and we have partnered with Tinker Federal Credit Union and they do shelter loans at 2.99% last time I checked.

www.f5stormsheltersok.com

I couldn't find any prices on your site....

longhorntitan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went with Ground Zero. They were on time and installed in about 5 hours. Very professional and they cleaned up very well. I've had no issues except for keeping the damn grass clippings out of it. It now houses my neighbors too in the event of bad weather. Gives me peace of mind knowing it's there if I have to be away from home.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually own F5 Storm Shelters. We have done well over 400 storm shelter installs in the OKC area. I will offer a 10% discount to any OSA member that opts to get one. Check out our website for more info.. or feel free to PM me. You can also click on our facebook link on the website for real world testimonials from all of our happy clients. You can see tons of pics on the website and facebook. Unlike other companies we actually offer a lifetime warranty while many of our competitors offer prorated warranties than disappear after 10 or 20 years. We also plasma cut our logo in the lid for more light and ventilation. Most companies use the gap between their front and back lid along with small vent slots for their ventilation, which doesn't compare to ours. All of our shelters are coated with coal tar epoxy to prevent corrosion. All of our shelters meet or exceed all FEMA guidelines. We take VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, cash, personal check and we have partnered with Tinker Federal Credit Union and they do shelter loans at 2.99% last time I checked.

www.f5stormsheltersok.com

We used Ryan and F5 a couple of weeks ago. They were great and we are very happy! Thanks again!

- Travis

Latest posts

Top Bottom